Indiana State Police report that a possible mass shooting was avoided this morning when law enforcement responded quickly to a tip that someone was threatening to shoot up an intermediate school in Richmond, Indiana.
The incident ended with the death of 14-year-old Brandon Clegg by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
What we know now
- Richmond police received a tip around 8 a.m. about a “potential violent act” at Dennis Intermediate School.
- All 16 Richmond Community Schools buildings, including Dennis, were placed on lockdown, meaning no one was allowed to enter or leave the school buildings.
- Brandon Clegg, who was not a student at the school, showed up at Dennis at the same time law enforcement arrived
- Despite the lockdown, Clegg got inside the school building by shooting out the door’s window glass.
- Officers followed the him inside and cornered him in a stairwell, where they exchanged gunfire.
- Clegg was reported dead by apparent suicide with a gun. No students or law enforcement were reported injured.
- By 10 a.m., the district reported that normal operations had resumed in the district’s other schools.
- Parents were advised to pick up Dennis students at the Civic Hall Performing Arts Center on Richmond High School’s campus
- Indiana State Police made entry this afternoon at the teen’s home in the 100 block of Southwest 16th Street, where neighbors reported they seized computers, gun boxes and other items.
- Dennis Intermediate School will not have classes Friday or Monday
- Dennis Intermediate, 222 NW Seventh St., serves students in fifth through eighth grades. It is one of three middle schools in Richmond Community Schools, which has an enrollment of 4,879