A second death is under investigation at a Miami County nursing home where coronavirus, or COVID-19, has spread, county health officials said on Saturday.
It has not been determined if either resident of Koester Pavilion who died had the coronavirus, as both were still awaiting test results.
Miami County Health Commissioner Dennis Propes said the health district hopes to receive the test results soon. He also offered his condolences to the families of those who died.
“The COVID-19 outbreak at Koester Pavilion is a challenging time for everyone,” Propes said. “We have received report that a second Koester resident that had been hospitalized and tested for COVID-19 has also died. My deepest condolences go out to the families during this extremely difficulty time.”
>>RELATED: Coronavirus: 32 with symptoms, including one man who died, connected to Troy nursing home
Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton called the outbreak at Koester a "hot spot" during the governor's briefing on Saturday.
>>RELATED: Order to close adult day services goes into effect today
Sixteen residents of Koester, 24 staff members and two visitors have shown symptoms of COVID-19, according to the Miami County health district. Twelve of those cases are presumed positive, and five are currently hospitalized.
The community can expect to see an increase in positive cases as more people are tested, Miami County Public Health officials said.
>>RELATED: Experts: Nursing home cases a sign of how bad coronavirus is
>>MORE COVERAGE: Grocery store workers hit hard
>>DETAILS: Coronavirus puts strain on homeless system, officials say
About the Author