An Ohioan was among the seven casualties found in flooded berthing compartments of the USS Fitzgerald following the collision with a Japanese merchant vessel.
The U.S. Navy Sunday identified the sailors killed as:
- Fire Controlman 1st Class Gary Leo Rehm Jr., 37, of Elyria, Ohio
- Gunner’s Mate Seaman Dakota Kyle Rigsby, 19, of Palmyra, Virginia
- Yeoman 3rd Class Shingo Alexander Douglass, 25, of San Diego, California
- Sonar Technician 3rd Class Ngoc T. Truong Huynh, 25, of Oakville, Connecticut
- Gunner’s Mate 2nd Class Noe Hernandez, 26, of Weslaco, Texas
- Fire Controlman 2nd Class Carlosvictor Ganzon Sibayan, 23, of Chula Vista, California
- Personnel Specialist 1st Class Xavier Alec Martin, 24, of Halethorpe, Maryland
The sailors’ remains were found when divers gained access to the compartments on Sunday that were damaged when the destroyer and Phillippine-flagged merchant vessel ACX Crystal collided, the U.S. Navy stated in a release issued Sunday evening.
The incident remains under investigation.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.