Monroe driver in fatal prom night crash won’t be tried as adult

UPDATE @ 4 p.m.:

Monroe Superintendent Phil Cagwin said his thoughts and prayers continue to be with the students and families impacted by the “tragic car accident.”

The fatal accident has caused the students and their loved ones “a great deal of pain and sadness,” he wrote in a statement released Thursday. “We will continue our efforts to help all of our students recover from this tragedy, and appreciate all those in our community and neighboring school districts for their acts of kindness and support.”

Butler County Prosecutor Michael Gmoser said he plans to keep the charges against Chynna Brandon in the juvenile court system because the investigation revealed “no intentional conduct” to raise the severity of the charges. 
He said speed was “one factor” in the fatal crash, but there were “other factors involved.”
He refused to name those factors.

If convicted, Brandon could be sentenced to the Juvenile Detention Center in Columbus until her 21st birthday, Gmoser said.

In cases like this there are “no winners on either side,” he said.

If Brandon isn’t found guilty, she will live with the results of that night forever, Gmoser said.

“She will live behind imaginary bars the rest of her life,” he said.

INITIAL REPORT: A 17-year-old driver has been charged in the one-car crash April 27 that killed a classmate while on their way to prom.

Chynna Brandon has been charged in the fatal accident that occurred when she was driving three Monroe High School classmates to prom.

Brandon lost control of the 2013 Tesla she was driving along Millikin Road and struck a telephone pole, according to the Butler County Sheriff’s Office.

Brandon is charged with two counts of vehicular assault and one count of vehicular homicide, all felony charges, the sheriff’s office said today.

One of the car’s backseat passengers, Kaylie Jackson, 17, was not wearing a seat belt and was ejected from the vehicle, according to the sheriff’s office.

Jackson died as a result of her injuries on April 30.

Brandon and the other two passengers — Tanner Allford, 17, and Mitchell Foster Jr., 18, were treated at University of Cincinnati Medical Center and released.

The sheriff’s office said it continues to work with the Butler County Prosecutor’s Office in the investigation of the crash.

About the Author