Coronavirus: First case confirmed in Shelby County, Tennessee, health department says

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Shelby County Health Department confirmed Sunday there was a case of the coronavirus in the Tennessee county.

The patient recently traveled out of state and officials do not believe there is a risk for the public at large, the health department said.

This is the second confirmed case of the novel coronavirus in Tennessee.

The Health Department said the patient is at a local Baptist hospital.

The person is in ‘good condition’ and in an air-pressurized room. They will be quarantined for 14 days.

Health Department officials said they will be holding news conferences every Wednesday for now.

Officials said if you believe you may have been exposed to the coronavirus or are experiencing symptoms, if you are healthy, to immediately call your doctor because there is a chance you might be able to self-quarantine at home.

During the news conference, city and county leaders said they are adjusting policies to make it easier for their employees who are sick to stay home.

They are urging other large businesses to do the same. WHBQ-TV reached out to FedEx, International Paper, Autozone, Shelby County Schools, St. Jude Children's Research Hosptial and more to learn if they are changing policies.

Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland said all city buildings were sanitized last week and all first responders are “well prepared” for the situation.

“The city stands ready to help the state and county governments in any way we can,” Mayor Strickland said.