Principal removed from position at Springfield High

Michael Skavaril was removed as principal Tuesday and replaced by Brentt Hogan.

Skavaril’s failure to write an apology to the family was the reason for his removal as principal, according to a letter from District Superintendent David Estrop sent to the family of the threatened boy dated Aug. 29. A letter of apology from Skavaril, dated Aug. 21 and stamped by the district on Aug. 26, was in his personnel file as of Friday.

Estrop in his letter called it a “lack of follow through to a direct order” and mentions other unspecified performance issues.

The district wouldn’t comment further on the decision, citing possible litigation.

The change was discussed at the district’s most-recent board meeting.

“Based on an analysis of the internal needs of the school, an administrative reassignment at SHS has been made. Mr. Mike Skavaril, currently principal of the Health and Human Services Academy, and Mr. Brentt Hogan, currently dean of students, will exchange positions effective Tuesday, Sept. 2,” Estrop told the board, according to minutes from the Aug. 28 meeting.

Hogan has been with the district for nearly 14 years, and an administrator for more than a year, “and thus understands school’s processes and personnel well,” Estrop said.

“When making administrative staff changes after the start of the school year, confining those changes to staff within one building minimizes the system-wide impact on personnel and on our students and families,” Estrop said.

At a disciplinary hearing July 14, the district determined Skavaril had failed to follow school policy in May when a 17-year-old female student allegedly told a 15-year-old male student that she was going to get a gun to shoot and kill him.

The girl was removed from class by a teacher who heard the threat and referred for discipline, but was back in class with the boy the next day. The incident was also reported to the Springfield Police Division at that time, but officers found no grounds for a criminal charge and turned the case back over to school officials for further action.

The boy’s parents said the school didn’t notify them of the threat.

Skavaril was suspended without pay for 10 days over the summer and ordered to write the letter of apology to the boy’s family.

When the family hadn’t received any apology as classes started last month, parent Chris Miller wrote a letter to the school board.

“We believe the school board and superintendent’s failure to enforce their own disciplinary actions concerning Mr. Skavaril shows a lack of accountability and responsibility,” the letter said.

Miller is frustrated that the school didn’t ensure Skavaril followed through with his punishment.

“It’s frustrating that we’re having to force them to follow their own protocol,” Miller said. “How can you sit here and discipline kids … when you’re not even following your own rules?”

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to exclusive deals and newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X