UPDATE @ 1:57 p.m. (Aug 23)
Firefighters said it will be a couple of hours before people are able to re-enter the Kettering Labs and music-theater building on the University of Dayton campus.
A sulfur dioxide leak was reported at the Kettering Labs, but is not considered a danger to the public.
UPDATE @ 1:30 p.m. (Aug. 23)
U.D.’s Kettering labs and the music theater building on campus have been evacuated due to the sulfur dioxide leak.
A HAZMAT response team cleared the lab building of all people and is entering the lab building to “shut off the bottle,” according to emergency dispatch traffic.
UPDATE @ 1:15 p.m. (Aug. 23)
What is sulfur dioxide?
Sulfur dioxide is a colorless pungent toxic gas formed by burning sulfur in the air. According to the EPA, short term exposures to SO2 can harm the human respiratory system and make breathing difficult. Those who suffer from asthma are particularly sensitive.
It is not known at this time how much of the gas leaked, or how it is being used on campus in the lab.
For more on sulfur dioxide, here is a link to the EPA's information page.
FIRST REPORT @ 12:47 p.m. (Aug. 23)
The University of Dayton School of Engineering building is reportedly being evacuated because of a chemical leak of sulfur dioxide.
A hazardous materials team was called to the scene on UD’s campus around 12:37 p.m.
The emergency was reported to be a sulfur dioxide leak inside the Kettering lab, according to the Montgomery County Regional Dispatch Center.
We’re working to get more details on this developing story.
Download our free apps to get news and weather updates on your mobile devices.