Trial for babysitter charged with murder continued

A trial for a Hanover Twp. woman charged with murder in the death of a toddler in her care will not happen next month as scheduled.

Lindsay Partin, 36, who is charged with involuntary manslaughter and child endangering in addition to murder for the death of a 3-year-old girl she babysat was scheduled to go to trial on Dec. 11, but today Butler County Common Pleas Judge Greg Stephens granted the defense’s motion for a continuance, according to court documents.

ExploreMORE: Prosecutors: Babysitter abused toddler for dumping ketchup in the toilet

Partin was in Stephens’ courtroom Wednesday for a short hearing on the motion. Friends and family of the 3-year-old victim, Hannah Wesche, were also in attendance wearing bight blue “HannahStrong” T-shirts.

ExploreMORE: Defense wants delay in trial for babysitter accused of murder in baby’s death

In the motion for continuance, defense attorney Chris Pagan stated, “this is a medical opinion case,” and argued more time was needed to consult with experts about the timing of the toddler’s head injuries after the time line had been narrowed by the prosecution’s experts.

The defense received from the prosecution on Nov. 9 new opinions about the time frame of the child’s injuries, according to Pagan.

Assistant Butler County Prosecutor Kelly Heile argued the evidence provided was not new, but supplemental to reports provided in July.

The defense‘s motion also referenced a confession expert they hired who needed more time to complete his work.

In his ruling granting the continuance Stephens wrote, “… the court finds that there is but one decision that avoids prejudice to both parties.”

Partin, who was the child’s babysitter, allegedly fatally assaulted Wesche after the girl exhibited toddler behavior, according to court documents filed by the Butler County Prosecutor’s Office.

The toddler suffered significant and severe bruising to her face, chest and neck on March 6 because Partin said Hannah “dumped ketchup in the toilet,” according to court documents filed by Butler County prosecutors.

Two days later, after Hannah’s father, Jason Wesche, dropped off his daughter, Partin recklessly abused the toddler resulting in traumatic brain injury, cervical spinal cord hemorrhage and optic nerve sheath hemorrhages, according to court documents.

Partin, who has pleaded not guilty to all charges, is free on $75,000 bond.

About the Author