In most cases, according to NORD, brain cysts are present at birth but usually don’t cause any symptoms. Arachnoid cysts though can also be caused by a head injury, a brain tumor or infection or brain surgery.
» BREAKING NEWS: Urban Meyer to retire from Ohio State after Rose Bowl
“I’ve been dealing with that cyst for many years and we had that surgery several years ago,” Meyer said, referring to a 2014 procedure to remove fluid from a cyst that had been causing him headaches.
Meyer’s cyst has been known about for quite some time but he reportedly affected him during the team’s game against Indiana University in early October.
He disclosed it to Sports Illustrated when he was still coach at Florida in 2010, at which time the Palm Beach Post reported, “fortunately for University of Florida football coach Urban Meyer and for the millions of others who have arachnoid cysts, the condition is not life-threatening.”
FIVE FAST READS
• EXPERT: Wright-Patterson ‘crucial to avoiding a defeat if there’s a World War III,’
• UD president gets contract renewed for 5 years
• Wright State faculty union overwhelmingly rejects fact-finder’s report
• UD, Premier give former fairgrounds new name, redevelopment could start in 3 to 4 years
• Ohio State wants to prevent Oklahoma from trademarking block ‘O’ logo