Responding to some light teasing from the Rhode Island student section, Toppin threw down a tomahawk jam at the peak of Dayton’s dominance in the second half. It was his 100th dunk of the season. He had several other dunks, though his brother Jacob stopped one with a foul.
»OBI TOPPIN ON NBA DECISION: ‘I’m not ready to say it’
Jalen Crutcher added 17 points. Trey Landers scored 14. Ten different Flyers scored, including walk-on Christian Wilson, who made a 3-pointer in the final minute.
Dayton's Ryan Mikesell and Trey Landers look ahead to Senior Night
Here’s what the victory means for Dayton:
• Dayton tied the school record for victories in a season. The 1951-52 team finished 28-5.
• Dayton won its 19th straight game. That’s one short of the school record for consecutive victories in one season. Dayton won 20 straight games from January to March in 1952.
» POLL NEWS: Flyers rise again in top 25
• The 19-game winning streak is the longest in the A-10 since Saint Louis won 19 straight in 2013-14, and it’s tied for the fifth longest in conference history.
» ESPN GAMEDAY: What fans need to know about Saturday
• Dayton became the first team since the A-10 returned to an 18-game schedule in 2014-15 to win 17 games.
• Dayton joined Gonzaga (29-2), San Diego State (28-1) and Liberty (28-4) as the only teams in the country with 28 victories.
Jalen Crutcher, Obi Toppin and Trey Landers all scored in double figures in the first half as the third-ranked Dayton Flyers built a 46-30 halftime lead against Rhode Island on Wednesday at the Ryan Center.
Dayton outscored Rhode Island 11-3 in the last 4:03, thanks in part to a four-point possession. Rhode Island guard Fatts Russell picked up a technical foul after Toppin was fouled. Crutcher made two free throws, and then Toppin made two.
Crutcher scored 12 points and made all six of his free-throw attempts. Toppin had 10 points, including two dunks on his 22nd birthday. Landers scored Dayton’s first five points and had 10 in the half.
» RECRUITING UPDATE: Who are Flyers pursuing in 2020, 2021 classes
Dayton shot 50 percent from the field (16 of 32) and made 14 of 25 2-point shots one game after making 27 of 28 in a victory against Davidson.
Much like the first game between these two teams, fouls mounted fast in the first half. Dayton made 12 of 13 free throws. Rhode Island made 9 of 16.
Toppin, Crutcher, Ryan Mikesell and Dwayne Cohill all picked up two fouls in the half.
Rhode Island shot 29 percent from the field and 23 percent from 3-point range (3 of 13).
» ANALYSIS: How did Dayton make 27 2-point shots in a row?
» RELATED: Toppin honored by A-10 again
» ARCHDEACON: Donoher talks about one of UD's greatest seasons
» PLAYER OF YEAR RACE: Iowa pushes Garza over Toppin