»» RELATED: It’s a go for Beavercreek vs. Xenia series
“Every state has enacted rules that limit the amount of contact before the season and during practices, and every state has concussion protocols and laws in place, so we continue to believe that the sport is as safe as it has ever been.”
Most area teams will play Week 1 games on Friday.
• The first Harbin football computer rankings will be released after Week 3 games. The Ohio High School Athletic Association uses this formula to determine which teams qualify for the playoffs.
»» RELATED: Week 1 football schedule
Teams earn first-level points for wins and second-level points for wins by a defeated opponent. A sliding point-level scale is used for the seven divisions, D-I being the greatest and D-VII the least. There are four regions in each division. The top eight teams in each region following the end of the regular season advance to the postseason.
• Arcanum beat all area teams to an opening win. The Trojans were to have played Oldenburg (Ind.) Academy at Bishop Chatard High School in Indianapolis on Friday. Instead, earlier this week Oldenburg informed Arcanum head coach and athletic director Jason Schondelmyer the game was off due to too many injured Oldenburg players.
»» THE BOYS ARE BACK: Mike and Marc, Week 1 football
That was too late for Arcanum to find another Week 1 game and resulted in a 1-0 forfeit win.
“It’s hard to comprehend,” Schondelmyer said. “We are 1-0 and 50 percent of (Ohio’s) high schools are not going to be 1-0 after (Week 1 games). It’s unfortunate. We looked throughout the state and in fairness to the guys we reached out to who were playing club teams, they said, Jason, we’re not going to break our contract with this team this late in the game, and I don’t blame them.”
»» SOCIAL MEDIA: You should like Marc Pendleton on Facebook and Twitter
Arcanum’s delayed opener will be in Week 2 against visiting Springfield Catholic Central.
• The Week 1 Backyard Blitz will be held at Wayne High School. Created by Flyin’ to the Hoop president Eric Horstman, Wayne will host defending D-I state runner-up Cincinnati Colerain on Friday and Carroll gets Columbus St. Francis DeSales at 7 p.m. on Saturday.
»» PHOTOS: Beavercreek vs. Alter, preseason football
• Tippecanoe and new coach Matt Burgbacher is the only area team participating in the season-long and Cincinnati-based Skyline Chili Crosstown Showdown. Tipp is at Cincinnati Mt. Healthy on Friday.
• It’s a shortened Week 2, due to the Labor Day holiday on Monday. There is one Week 2 area Thursday, Sept. 5, game, Tipp at Springfield Shawnee.
• Teams should email game results as soon as possible to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include highlights and notable stats.
»» PHOTOS: Centerville at Trotwood preseason football
»» RELATED: Centerville QB hot prospect
»» RELATED: GWOC football preview
»» RELATED: Week 1 football power rankings
»» RELATED: GCL Co-Ed football preview
»» RELATED: MVL football preview
»» PHOTOS: Greenville preseason football
»» PHOTOS: Northmont preseason football
»» RELATED: Football video replay for state championships
»» RELATED: GCL Co-Ed vs. OHSAA lawsuit