Here’s five things to know about the Miami Valley Football Coaches Association All-Star Football Game. The contest is for 2018 graduates and will be held at 7 p.m. today at Centerville High School. John Aregood is the all-star game director.
1. The MVFCA is a local football coaches association that began in 1973. The North vs. South game is its most high-profile event and switched to Centerville after a long run at Dayton’s Welcome Stadium.
»RELATED: South all-stars coaching staff, roster
Like many similar organizations throughout the state, the MVFCA is a go-to, online site for coach openings, opponents needed for open dates and other useful area football information. Head coaches must be association members to nominate a player to the all-star game.
2. The MVFCA funds scholarships through membership dues and all-star game proceeds. Tori Childers will receive the $1,000 Michaela Aregood Scholarship. Ten 2018 grads will be awarded $500 scholarships: Kassidy Driskoll, Collin Genslinger, Matt Jarzab, Kaylee Wheat, Emma Parker, Josie Spitzer, David Moyer, Kyle Walker, Jackson Mitchell and Tyler Cory.
3. Three coaches will be inducted into the MVFCA head coaches hall of fame: Rick Robertson (Springfield North, Fairmont, Springfield and Oakwood), Pat Masters (Meadowdale) and legends inductee Wat Farrar (Milton-Union). Robertson is the only active coach and was an assistant the last two seasons at Belmont.
New members to the MVFCA assistant coaches hall of fame will be Bob Franz (Carroll, Fairmont and Oakwood), Greg Hale (Bradford, Arcanum and Upper Sandusky), Tom Massie (Fairborn Park Hills, Troy and Tecumseh) and Jim Benetis (Bellbrook).
Oakwood head coach Butch Snider will receive the Rick Newsock Leadership Award.
4. The MVFCA North vs. South game is separate from the Ohio High School Football Coaches Association North vs. South games that were held in April at Massillon. Some of the MVFCA North/South players will play football in college, but for most, this will be their last game.
»TWITTER: You should like @MarcPendleton
5. Northmont coach Tony Broering (North) and Chaminade Julienne coach Marcus Colvin (South) are the all-star head coaches. The North is practicing from 6-8 p.m. through Thursday at Northmont. The South is practicing 4-6 p.m. this week at CJ.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.