The inaugural Trotwood-Madison High School athletic hall of fame class is a star-filled lineup. Six former Rams standouts will be inducted during a dinner and ceremony at the Mandalay Banquet and Event Center at 5 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 29.
The first half-dozen of what promises to be an outstanding HOF are a who’s-who of all-time area high school standouts. In alphabetical order:
»» RELATED: GWOC football preview
• LaVonna Martin Floreal (Class of 1984): Silver medalist in the 100 hurdles in the 1992 Summer Olympics at Barcelona, Spain, and a member of the U.S. Team in the 1988 Olympic Games at Seoul, South Korea. Fourteen-time track and field All-American at the University of Tennessee.
Scored all of Trotwood’s points to win consecutive Class AAA girls state track team titles in 1983-84. As a Rams junior, she swept the 100 meters, 200 and 100 hurdles. As a senior she repeated in the 100 hurdles and 200, added a win in the 300 hurdles and was second in the 100.
»» RELATED: Fairmont baseball coach resigns
She’s the daughter of Northwest Track Club founder and former University of Dayton women’s track and field coach Lefty Martin.
• Vincent Gay (Class of 1999): Three-time wrestling state qualifier and won the state 170-pound title as a senior, the Ram’s only wrestling state champ in program history. Also a decorated football player. Wrestled at Edinboro and Temple. The principal at Golder College Prep in Chicago.
»» RELATED: Beavercreek girls soccer nationally ranked
• Zach Logan (Class of 2004): Another unbeaten blur on the track. Won state 400 titles as a sophomore and senior, edging Cleveland Glenville sensation Ted Ginn Jr. in a 400 showdown as seniors (46.64). All-Ohio as a defensive back and played football at Purdue. Currently the defensive coordinator at Malone.
• Lamar Preyor (Class of 1975): Yet another track flash, swept the 100- and 220-yard dashes as a junior in the 1974 Class AAA state track meet. As a Rams senior placed second in the 100, and fourth in the 220 as Trotwood tied for runner-up.
»» RELATED: Football video replay for state championships
Became a five-time track All-American at Tennessee and two-time U.S. Olympic Team Trials qualifier.
• Chris Wright (Class of 2007): Among the most beloved basketball players at Dayton for his high-flying ability and crowd-pleasing court demeanor. Currently with the Oklahoma City Thunder organization. Led Trotwood to a Division I state runner-up as a junior in 2006.
»» RELATED: Week 1 football schedule
• Tom Wright (Class of 1966): Won the Class AA 220 (21.80) in the state track meet in 1962. Became a three-time track and field All-American at Bowling Green and was BGSU’s head track coach from 1980-90.
Tickets to the dinner/ceremony are $40 and are available at the high school main office.
»» RELATED: Greenon Knights football preview
»» RELATED: UD football lands former Wayne coach
»» RELATED: GCL Co-Ed vs. OHSAA lawsuit
»» RELATED: Valley View football preview
»» RELATED: Greeneview Rams football preview
»» RELATED: Tippecanoe Red Devils football preview
»» RELATED: Top 7 underclass RBs last season
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.