Dayton Power and Light is offering tips on how to manage your energy bills during periods of excessive heat.
Temperatures are on the rise this week, reaching into the low to mid 90s. Heat indices by this weekend are expected to be 100 or higher.
- Set your air conditioning as high as comfortably possible: The recommended setting is 78 degrees
- When you vacuum vents and registers regularly, your air conditioning unit won’t work as hard
- Close blinds and shades when it’s the hottest
- Turn off ceiling fans in unoccupied rooms
- Only use heat-producing appliances (such as your oven, clothes dryer, and dishwasher) later in the evening
To save long term on your bill, DP&L suggests you install a programmable thermostat; upgrade your system to a new model (DP&L will even send you a rebate); install a whole-house fan; insulate your attic; and install energy efficient windows and doors. Upgrades and new installations can save you hundreds of dollars per year.