Voter Guide: Carlisle Village Member of Council at Large

Credit: HANDOUT

Credit: HANDOUT

The Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and Journal-News invited local candidates to fill out the following questionnaire to inform readers.

VOTE FOR 4:

Brenda Jo Abney

Education: Graduated from Franklin High School and accounting classes at Sinclair Community College

Current employment: Retired from Atrium Medical Center

Community involvement: Secretary of Carlisle Lions Club

Why are you seeking elected office? I’d like to be on council to serve our community.

Why should voters elect you? I am a people person and would like to help our city.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Listen to people and their needs, have a better relationship with our schools and get things our city needs, such as another traffic light.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Encourage people to attend more council meetings so they know what is going on in our town. Meet with the school board and stay in close contact with them. A traffic light has been researched, and now that we are a city, we need to make this happen.

Anything else you would like voters to know? I am an honest person, and I’m not afraid to say no or yes when the time comes. I have a finance background and would like to use this to help grow our city, yet not raise taxes so people cannot afford them.

Will Bicknell

Education: High school diploma

Current employment: Sugar Creek Packing Company

Community involvement: Planning Commission, J.E.M.S board member, Finance Committee, current council member

Why are you seeking elected office? I want to be reelected to continue helping our community move forward with growth for our and providing top services to our citizens.

Why should voters elect you? My core values and my mission to keep Carlisle with that small town feel with new age amenities.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Generating new revenue, business growth and increasing our services to the citizens.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Working hand in hand with our officials to create a plan of action to accomplish these goals.

Anything else you would like voters to know? I would like the voters to come out and vote for who they believe will represent them best for the next four years and beyond.

Kim Bilbrey

Education: Some college

Current employment: Self-employed

Community involvement: Carlisle Village Council, Finance Committee, Special Events Committee, Blue Goose fraternal organization,

Why are you seeking elected office? To continue to serve the community I love and volunteer in, and be a voice for our residents.

Why should voters elect you? To keep making positive changes that are beneficial for our residents and businesses. Being a voice for Carlisle residents. Give back through community events and show love on our town! Try and help be a solution to close the gap with school board relationships.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Continue to create engaging events to give back to the community. Support and champion local small businesses. Make resident/business city concerns a priority.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Continue to make myself available when there’s a concern. Take meetings face to face or call. Have a list of activities I would like to see come reality to our town to give back to our community. Continue to deepen relationships with existing businesses and help impact new ones that are possibly looking to move to Carlisle.

Anything else you would like voters to know? See you at the polls Nov. 2. And best wishes to all running and can’t wait to see who the people vote for the next four years!

Andrew J. Hubbs

No response

Randal Jewett

No response

James Lickliter

No response

Lisa M. Long

Credit: Justin Spivey

Credit: Justin Spivey

Education: Graduated from Lemon-Monroe High School; attended Miami University and Ashford University for business administration.

Current employment: XL Funding

Community involvement: I have not had the opportunity to serve the community until recently, which led me to run for council.

Why are you seeking elected office? I want the opportunity to serve our community by offering a fresh perspective.

Why should voters elect you? I will listen and provide transparency to the community by keeping you informed.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? My goal is to help our community grow by bringing new businesses and revenue to the city so we don’t have to raise taxes or reduce services. In addition, I want to see the council work directly with the school board and police department to solve any significant issues plaguing our city and schools.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Spend time working directly with officials, sharing our community needs, and learning how we can solve for them.

Anything else you would like voters to know? I love our city and am proud to call it home. I want to continue keeping Carlisle a safe place for all of us to enjoy and live quietly for many years.

Tim Humphries

Education: High school

Current Employment: BHD Sports

Community Involvement: Mayor, president of the Lions Club, president of the Historical Society

Why are you seeking elected office? It’s my pleasure to serve the community that raised me, my father and grandfather. I’m someone that is able to vote “No” when it is necessary, but is not popular by some.

Why should voters elect you? Honest, available, committed to what is right, no matter the circumstance.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Continue to do what is best for the community. Be a good steward of the citizens’ money. Always keep safety as a top priority.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Continue to serve as I have the past 10 years of service. Hands on, ask questions, understand my role while knowing the rules of the position.

Anything else? I personally have your best interest at heart. I have spent more time doing this representative position then most. Safety of person, property and business/quality of life/fiscal responsibility are my core concerns in being the conscience of our local government.

Michael Kilpatrick

Education: Attended Adirondack Community College, maintained a 4.0 GPA while there

Current Employment: Self-employed: We own an online education business called Growing Farmers where we provide coaching, community and courses that help farmers thrive in business and life. We also own the Farm on Central, a small vegetable, fruit, horticulture and education farm in the village of Carlisle.

Community Involvement: Founding board member for the Pitney Meadows Community Farm in Upstate New York. We raised $2.3 million to preserve a 164 acre farm within the city limits of Saratoga Springs.

Why are you seeking elected office? Let’s make Carlisle a destination, not a drive through! I love our little village. We have a lot going for us: new school, attractive neighborhoods, excellent business locations and opportunities. But let’s not hold ourselves back. Since we’ve moved here, I’ve talked to hundreds of residents of the town, and listened to what their aspirations, fears, frustrations and concerns are. It’s evident we need change, and as a multiple business owner, father and educator, I have the vision and experience to make that happen.

Why should voters elect you? I’m a young business owner who gets things done. I am the first person in eight years to successfully start a new brick and mortar business in Carlisle, and I understand just how tough it can be to navigate everything needed to make it work and the reasons that new businesses don’t want to come. As a life-long business owner, (Farm on Central is our third), I understand what it takes to provide services, manage people, and work with government agencies to build a better future for our kids. I want to listen. I believe the best way to go far is to sit down and listen to those who have more experience and insight than you and see how you can bring them to the table and connect with each other. Our community members have great ideas, they just don’t want to run for public office -- I want to be their voice! Oh, and on the regular issues? I’m a pro-life father of three who has my CCW, stands proudly for medical freedom and thinks our school mascot is honoring of this region’s heritage!

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? 1. Support and develop businesses in Carlisle: Whether it’s supporting existing businesses or finding unique ways to bring new business in, Carlisle has a lot to offer. Let’s bring in new businesses and revenue that our community needs! If we don’t bring in more revenue, we will have to start cutting services as we will be facing deficits according to our finance director. 2. Streamline City Hall processes: Over the last year, I’ve dealt with City Hall multiple times on many different projects. Let’s face it, it’s not easy. Many residents have spoken to me about how confusing and hard it is to get anything done and business owners have stated they won’t expand or move into our municipality because of the red tape. Let’s review current processes, implement best practices and work to make Carlisle somewhere we want to live! 3. Build community: I love seeing new folks show up at the farm and experience what we’re growing. To me, it’s all about knowing and connecting with our community! We’ve had some great recent events that have brought our community together and I look forward to continuing and helping to expand these community centric events! Let’s enjoy Carlisle together!

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? 1. Attracting business can be challenging! But a couple things will help. A. A dedicated economic development person that holds business’s hands as they navigate the complex process of coming into town. If you have to wait weeks or months to get answers, you are moving on. B. A cost sharing program for the expensive infrastructure that Carlisle requires. There are lot of missing sidewalks and storm drains that are put on the business owner. We need to develop a cost share, or at least a tax abatement, on the cost of implementing these. C. A city council and zoning commission that wants to attract business. Having me on there as a yes vote when businesses come will bring business to town. 2. Streamline City Hall processes. A. We should follow the rules that we have, and if they don’t’ make sense, change them. I propose a review of the current code, and a simplification and modernization of them. B. Did you know it takes Carlilians an collective 4,186 hours a year to pay their sewer, water and trash bills? (2093 households, 10 minutes for each household per month) Something that could be easily automated (if a resident chose to opt-in) with the right technology? Let’s get it done! C. City Hall transparency: Right now, City Hall is shrouded in mystery. Depending on the day, you get a different answer if your boat can be parked in your backyard, or whether you need a permit for your fence!

Anything else? We settled in Carlisle to feed our community and raise our family. Let’s come together to make Carlisle a destination, not a drive through!