Voter Guide: Lebanon City Member of Council

Credit: HANDOUT

Credit: HANDOUT

The Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and Journal-News invited local candidates to fill out the following questionnaire to inform readers.

VOTE FOR 4

Brian Hawley

Education: Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice from Eastern Kentucky University

Current employment: Deputy clerk, Warren County Common Pleas Court

Community involvement: I currently volunteer with Lebanon Youth Wrestling, as well as special needs programs in the area.

Why are you seeking elected office? I’m seeking a seat on Lebanon City Council because I’ve loved and supported Lebanon my entire life. My pride in the community only grew when I worked for the Lebanon Public Works Department during my college breaks. My primary duties were to mow, keep the parks clean and patch potholes. That’s really where I learned about serving the whole community. I’d like to do that again, but in a different capacity.

Why should voters elect you? Voters should vote for me because I grew up in Lebanon enjoying the different shops, restaurants, parks and everything else wonderful about this town. I’ve worked for the city of Lebanon, as have several family members. My sister works for the schools. The community has turned me into who I am today, and I’d like to serve on council as a way to give back.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Making sure Lebanon’s public service departments are capable of handling the population growth. The fire department has occasionally had to shut down one of the two stations due to manpower issues, and the police department is relying on mutual aid on a regular basis. I will always focus on public safety. Traffic issues are another big issue in Lebanon. There have been several projects recently that changed the flow of traffic on some of the city’s most traveled roadways. The citizens have been very vocal with their opinions, and business owners have shown proof it’s affecting them. I will make sure any new road projects are vetted by the community before being approved. Parks and family entertainment options are often talked about in Lebanon. I’m listening and will work to draw new family friendly attractions to join the options already available to the community.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? I will work with fellow council members to make sure public safety and the other public service departments are properly staffed for a city Lebanon’s size. I’ll continue speaking with citizens, business owners and those that visit to hear what ideas they have. I believe those are the voices who should decide what business council spends their time on.

Anything else you would like voters to know? I fell in love with Lebanon the first time I put on a Warrior jersey as a small kid. I’ve spent 39 years supporting local shops, schools, restaurants and festivals. And my mom raised us to volunteer in the community. I hope to continue my family’s long history of serving the city of Lebanon and its citizens. I ask you to vote Brian Hawley for Lebanon City Council

Bri Marcum

Education: No response

Current employment: Health IT contractor specializing in software implementation and project management

Community involvement: Girl Scouts of Western Ohio; Countryside YMCA; have volunteered for and support AVFTI, Equality Ohio, Planned Parenthood, Cincinnati Interfaith Workers Center and Cincinnati’s Families Belong Together march. I have organized or volunteered for farmworkers’ rights, immigrant rights, teach-ins and homeless outreach programs in the Cincinnati and Columbus area. I was also an organizer for the recent March for Reproductive Rights in Mason, and currently organize food and supply drives for Lebanon families in need.

Why are you seeking elected office? I believe my background in community service, professional skill set and personally experiencing some of the same challenges as my neighbors will bring a unique perspective to city council.

Why should voters elect you? As the only candidate running for Lebanon City Council not affiliated with a party I pledge to put people over politics and humanity first. Lebanon is my home and I want to ensure it’s a safe, desirable place to live, work and play.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Economic development, address irresponsible spending and unnecessary measures that have greatly impacted our city, and create more activities for our children.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? We need to provide much needed resources, COVID relief funds, tackle staffing shortages and increase tourism to help our local businesses recover. It’s essential that our community grows at a rate that’s best for the residents, is sustainable, at a pace that won’t overwhelm our school system and that we get our residents more involved with the decision making. How do you want us to grow and where? What is the economic value we want out of it? Whatever direction we choose to go in, it needs to be the citizens’ choice and for the benefit of our entire community, not about appeasing big developers. I will follow the city charter, only spend taxpayer money on affordable outcomes for the good of all Lebanon and will not be influenced by extremist or special interest groups. It’s important that children of all abilities and developmental stages have nurturing environments to play. Utilizing grants and sponsorships, I will work to create more outdoor recreational spaces for children and teens, improve existing parks and elevate our playgrounds to be accessible and inclusive for all.

Anything else you would like voters to know? That I will see to opportunities and and work toward eliminating barriers for the inclusion of all residents as it pertains to housing, economic development, public safety, community engagement and quality of life issues for people of all races, genders, sexual orientations, religious beliefs, ethnicities, incomes and abilities. I share my home with my husband, our 12 year old daughter, three ferrets and a goldfish named Bruno.

Leslie A. Nahigyan

Education: B.S.N., University Of Cincinnati College of Nursing; B.A., Miami University

Current employment: I’ve been a nurse for 25 years, most of it spent in leadership positions involving health care quality, patient safety and care management. I now lead quality and patient safety efforts for the physician division of an area health system.

Community involvement: Before COVID and an illness in the family, I was a master gardener here in town. I had the opportunity to work in the medicinal garden at Glendower, speak at the garden club and weed the rain garden at Miller Park. I currently support the Harmon Museum. I’ve taken part in MLK Community Coalition events and in service projects to benefit the women’s shelter and food pantries. I am a poll worker. I encourage you to volunteer at the polls – it’s a great way to be involved.

Why are you seeking elected office? I’ve been a nurse for 25 years, driven to the profession by a desire to serve, care for and advocate for my patients. This same desire has led me to local politics and running for Lebanon City Council. A desire to ensure my friends’ and neighbors’ voices are represented in the decisions made on behalf of this community I love and call home. I’ve grown increasingly concerned that current council members are not representative of Lebanon residents as a whole and are pursuing special interests rather than focusing on the needs of the city. We need to moderate this local government body! I look forward to bringing more accountability, transparency and fair play to the table.

Why should voters elect you? I can promise to actively listen to all residents – whether you vote for me or not. Every resident is my constituent. And I promise to listen with empathy and a goal of understanding. We won’t always agree but you’ll always know why I made the decision I did. I’ll work to ensure you have a voice at city council. I promise to play by the rules and uphold open meetings laws. And I won’t say in private what I wouldn’t say to you on the street. I have a wealth of work experiences that apply well to the duties of a city council. I’ll challenge my fellow council members – and myself – to keep our focus on city business – roads, taxes, utilities, development, planning – all the functions outlined in the charter and no fluff or political resume fillers. I love our community and am invested in its success. I very much want to earn your vote.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? My top three priorities will be to address communication, practical policies, and representation. The city has been the focus of lawsuits, wasting time and taxpayer dollars. Current council members, however well-meaning or liked, do not represent Lebanon as a whole. City council needs CPR! Communication: The foundation of our government – local to national – is that of a government of the people, by the people, for the people. I’ll work to improve opportunities for residents to provide input and feedback to city council, participate in council meetings and have the transparency we deserve. Practicality: Better basic business practices for council can protect Lebanon taxpayers from risk. Representation: Our council currently overrepresents a portion of our community. Council members are nearly carbon copies of each other in terms of beliefs and approaches to how they make decisions. We see this in action when nearly every member acts as sponsor and approves ordinances or resolutions. That much consensus isn’t healthy. Diversity of thought brings better decisions and represents more Lebanon residents. Reputation matters - the light shined on our city the past year has not been positive. Our council’s failure to listen to community members and form a Human Relations Commission coupled with incidents of racism paint a picture of a pretty but petty, unwelcoming town. Responsibility matters, too, and includes fair play and transparency. Council owes it to residents to complete its due diligence in understanding what the city wants and commit to adhering to open meeting and sunshine rules.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Communication: There are three quick ways to improve communication concerning council meetings. 1. Our Mason neighbors speak both at the beginning and end of their regular council meetings. Citizens should have the last word! Let’s adopt that practice here in Lebanon. 2. Virtual meetings are now a way of life. We have an opportunity to make our virtual council meetings more accessible and interactive. Not everyone can physically get to a meeting, but everyone deserves a voice. 3. We have live audio and video for regular council meetings. We need that functionality for council work sessions, too. There is much context that is lost without offering live access to those sessions. Practicality: 1. We need a social media policy for council members. Most organizations have a policy prohibiting the use of private social media accounts for business use. Why should council members be any different? Such a policy would have protected Lebanon from the recent federal censorship lawsuit. 2. Council packets were available to residents but only upon request. I asked they be made available before meetings. You’ll now find them posted with agendas on the city website. Representation: 1. I’ll work to better define what constitutes the conditions for an emergency ordinance and ensure it is judiciously applied. 2. Let’s take another look at the Human Relations Commission and make Lebanon a safe, welcoming place for everyone. 3. Let’s also ensure comprehensive training for council and community members regarding open meeting and sunshine laws.

Anything else you would like voters to know? To keep our focus on city business – roads, taxes, utilities, development, planning - I will apply a Lebanon city business “litmus test.” Does the issue apply directly to city business? If so, how? What are the considerations we need to explore? How will we solicit feedback from stakeholders? What is our communication plan? How will we measure success? If it does NOT directly apply to city business, we shouldn’t spend time debating an issue. We need to dismiss it, making any referral to other entities for remedy where appropriate.

Matt Sellers

No response

Michael Cope

Education: Master’s of science, construction management, Eastern Michigan University

Current Employment: Director, facilities and project management at Life Enriching Communities senior living company

Community Involvement: My focus up to this point in life has been family, faith and work. I am currently on Lebanon City Council, via appointment to a vacant seat. My other involvement is/has been in leadership or support positions oriented around clubs and organizations my family has been involved with. Examples are: youth leader in Countryside Student Ministries, coaching positions at Lebanon SAY Soccer, Warren County Soccer Club and Cincinnati United Soccer Club.

Why are you seeking elected office? I am currently on city council due to being appointed to a vacated seat. I am running in order to continue serving the residents of Lebanon with decisions guided by socially and fiscally conservative, liberty minded and small government principles.

Why should voters elect you? Voters should elect me to serve them for two primary reasons. First, is that my work background uniquely qualifies me to guide the city through difficult upcoming financial decisions and growth pressures. I have spent the last 30 years in commercial construction management, including the last eight years as director of facilities and project management, guiding developments and master plans (retail, residential, hospitals, medical and corporate office buildings, sports complexes, manufacturing plants, distribution centers, higher education, places of worship, city government administration, police and fire facilities, sewage treatment plants, power plants) through city zoning, planning, councils and building departments. This has given me insight on how to protect our city’s character and charm within the needs of development and growth. Secondly, is that I am a social and fiscal conservative, and believe that small government is the best government. Our 2022 city revenue is expected to increase 4% over 2021 and top $100 million for the first time, yet we have one of the lowest tax rates in Warren County and surrounding communities. To maintain excellent city services along with a balanced budget, we have to make wise fiscally conservative decisions. An example is that in my current position on city council, I have already helped to save our residents over $2 million alone in interest payments on the refinancing debt. This savings will help us have better options in building out our future infrastructure needs.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? My top three priorities will be to first manage the growth pressures that the city is facing without negatively impacting the character and charm of our city. Second is to maintain or increase our road and infrastructure development. Third is to ensure we maintain or grow essential government services with the proper resources and without going into unnecessary or unstainable debt.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? My plan to manage the growth pressures without negatively impacting the character of our city has several elements. I will lean on my 30 years of corporate experience developing and managing capital growth for clients, which is similar to what I currently do on city council. Providing the best life experiences for our residents through local job and housing growth, along with civic, retail, and entertainment expansion, has to be managed within the character of our community. Lebanon is known has having a small, vibrant hometown feel with parks and bike paths, iconic downtown elements like the LM&M train, Golden Lamb, Ice Cream Parlor, retail and many festivals. To protect these traits, I will make sure future development fits within our city master plan, and update any needed zoning or building codes to include elements which enhances those character traits. The next priority is to increase our road and infrastructure development. I have already voted for and will continue to support the elevated road program spending in order to catch up from prior year deficits. I have also voted for and will continue to support the water and sewer system upgrades that will support future development. The third priority is to provide essential city services to our residents without going into debt. My conservative fiscal position is helping us to address this now as we are going to convert three part-time fire/EMS positions to full time and hire two additional police officers.

Anything else? I love Lebanon and look forward to continuing to serve our citizens. I have been blessed to be married to my wonderful wife, Kim, for nearly 28 years. I have lived in Lebanon for 13 years and just outside the city limits for another 14 years. We have raised our four children enjoying what Lebanon offers with all either graduating or will be, one is a senior, from Lebanon High School.

Brad Lamoreaux

Education: B.S., Mt. Vernon Nazarene University

Current Employment: Self employed

Community Involvement: Warren County Central Committee (8 yrs); current chair of Warren County Central Committee

Why are you seeking elected office? Lebanon has great momentum, and I want to use my business experience, gifts, talents, etc. to help continue this.

Why should voters elect you? As a Christian, conservative, pro-life, small business owner, I feel that I will represent the people of Lebanon well. I want to continue to keep Lebanon a great place to live, work, worship and raise a family.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Infrastructure and growth, work force development, and maintaining the over all character of Lebanon.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Infrastructure and growth: Helping to maintain growth of Lebanon but not sacrificing its small town feel. Work force development: I will work with the Chamber of Commerce and local businesses to keep the cost of doing business as low as possible, and maintain a healthy relationship with Lebanon schools and the Warren County Career Center. And encourage our local employers to participate in or host job fairs. Maintaining the overall character of Lebanon: Make sure we as a city council don’t jeopardize the things that make Lebanon a pro-life, pro-family and pro-small business town.

Anything else? My wife, Elizabeth, and I have four children from ages 13-20. My oldest is studying business finance at Hillsdale College. Over the past 15 years I have been active with various youth sports organizations, Trail Life USA and leadership with my church Sunday school class.

Alecia Lipton

Education: Master’s of health care administration, University of Cincinnati; Bachelor’s of science communications, Miami University; Associate’s of applied arts broadcasting, Morehead State University

Current Employment: Director of public relations at Hoxworth Blood Center

Community Involvement: Board of directors for CARE Center Animal Blood Bank, University of Cincinnati Alumni Association, Miami University Alumni Association, previous president of the Young Marines of Cincinnati Parent Organization, WCET/Think TV Advisory Committee.

Why are you seeking elected office? The city of Lebanon has been divided by a rogue council making decisions outside of their scope of responsibilities as outlined in the city charter. Currently council is acting on their religious beliefs. While I myself have a strong faith, and acknowledge that we have freedom to practice religion or refrain from religion. Simply put Christianity should not dictate public policy.

Why should voters elect you? I promise to listen more than I speak and will hold fellow council members accountable to following the city charter. Decisions will be made on what is best for the citizens of Lebanon and will not be guided by personal faith or political stepping stones. I will insist on transparency and professionalism

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? I am running for Lebanon City Council on a platform of change upheld by three pillars: equality, governance and preservation.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? I am running for Lebanon City Council on a platform of change upheld by three pillars: equality, governance and preservation. I’m a firm believer in the idea that all citizens deserve the same rights and opportunities. The first step to resolving an issue is acknowledging that we have one, and I understand the importance of recognizing where Lebanon, as a community, falls short. I will always stand and support those who have felt ignored, scared, discriminated against and victimized. In regards to governance, I acknowledge the concern that our current council has gone rogue, engaging in behaviors that do not support the best interests of the city. I vow to keep personal interests out of city decisions and will not use the position as a stepping stone for future personal or political gains. I will work to keep the council accountable to citizens by following the charter while being fiscally responsible with taxpayer funds. Decisions must be made for the greater good of the city -- not for a select few. The third pillar is preservation. I look forward to working alongside citizens, local businesses, the city and the state of Ohio to help preserve and promote our unique downtown area and the community as a whole. All citizens benefit when individuals visit and spend money in our downtown shops, restaurants and local attractions. I believe that preservation will make Lebanon a destination city for visitors and families looking for a place to call home.

Anything else? I promise to listen more than I speak and will also have time for all citizens of Lebanon, Ohio.

Jim Norris

Education: Master’s of education, Xavier University

Current Employment: Retired teacher, Lebanon City Schools

Community Involvement: Lebanon City Schools, Lebanon City Council, Elks Lodge, Lebanon Alumni Association, Solutions Counseling and Recovery Services Board member, Warren County Historical Society trustee, Main Street Lebanon

Why are you seeking elected office? Love of leadership and desire to preserve the 200-plus year history and atmosphere of Lebanon, my home since 1957.

Why should voters elect you? Experience gained through four previous terms, 2001-2017. I represent an entirely different approach to the basis for arriving at city priorities than the current council majority and their supporters running this year.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? 1. As a moderate and independent of outside influences, I wish to see council balance its time on the needs of the city. 2. Needs of the city as defined by our charter -- safety, infrastructure and promotion of city businesses -- should be solely addressed. 3. Increase time and attention on the prospects of housing growth in the neighboring townships that will direct our infrastructure and local schools.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Four votes will be needed to change the direction of current council judgment. I am vested in achieving that starting with my candidacy. Addressing explosive growth potential in the neighboring townships will be addressed by aggressively pursuing communication with all affected authorities.

Anything else? I am not perfect. I am however determined to make sure that respect for differences of opinion becomes a hallmark of the new council after Nov. 2. I appeal to all age groups, women, men, races, to consider current council behavior and vote for change.

Scott Norris

Education: Master’s degree in marriage and family therapy

Current Employment: Self-employed general contractor

Community Involvement: Volunteer, Warren County Historical Society; counselor, Advisory Board Warren County Career Center

Why are you seeking elected office? To work with current leadership in seeing Lebanon make continued progress and managed growth.

Why should voters elect you? I am honest, hard working and passionate about Lebanon as a community, a place to live and work.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Working with area business toward developing more growth in the business district. Creating a connected city by increasing, improving trail, sidewalk system so all businesses and neighborhoods can be reached safely. Roads, improved repairs, resurfacing, stripping, crosswalks

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Work with city management to understand current funding, explore more funding, and hopefully develop increased revenue steams to make improvements possible.

Anything else? I have lived in Lebanon most of my life and raised my family here. I see Lebanon as a safe and healthy city where people want to come and visit and live. I want to be a part of maintaining what is working and helping where improvements are needed.