Voter Guide: Mad River Local School Board

Credit: HANDOUT

Credit: HANDOUT

The Dayton Daily News, Springfield News-Sun and Journal-News invited local candidates to fill out the following questionnaire to inform readers.

VOTE FOR 3:

Youssef A. Elzein

Credit: Justin Spivey

Credit: Justin Spivey

Education: Master’s degree civil Engineering

Current employment: Senior project manager

Community involvement: American Red Cross, UD Parent Leadership Council, Montgomery County College Promise

Why are you seeking elected office? Our education system is getting bogged down with divisive politics. I want to refocus attention to learning and not fighting.

Why should voters elect you? Equity, equality and stability are the three pillars of my campaign. This formula will bring success to our children.

If elected, what will be your top three priorities? Financial stability, restore native enrollment levels, health and wellbeing of students and staff.

What specific plans do you have to address those top priorities? Mad River Local depends on open enrollment to maintain a student population that keeps state and government funding feasible. This is not sustainable. I have a plan to make Mad River Local one of the best schools in the county, hence reclaiming our students from the private schools. Further, the current property tax funding mechanism was deemed to be unconstitutional. I will work with other school districts, at a county and state level, to roll out an equitable funding formula that puts our children first, regardless of where they live or the value of the property in the area.

Anything else you would like voters to know? I care very much about our community and feel that a good education should be available to all, not just the wealthy or privileged. The education system attracts new business to locate to our community. High school graduation and workforce development represent two of the most important criteria to attract corporations and business. We need to make this investment a winning one, by holding our elected officials and school administrators accountable for the status of our schools. However, we need to reward them for succeeding.

Ruth Newhouse

No response

Cristina M. Pickle

No response

A. J. Ricker

No response

Marilyn Steiner

No response