Businesses in Middletown feel impact of crash that downed power lines

Dayton woman charged with OVI in incident.

Power was knocked out for nearly 22 hours after an OVI crash early Tuesday morning in downtown Middletown, greatly impacting businesses.

Some restaurants in one block of Central Avenue were without power Tuesday. Power was restored early Wednesday morning, but by that time, the damage was done.

Heather Gibson, owner of Triple Moon, a popular downtown coffee shop and eatery, said she was closed for much of Tuesday and lost about $1,500 in sales and $2,000 in food that had to be discarded because it wasn’t refrigerated.

“We lost it all,” said Gibson, who added she may have to replace a small refrigerator that was damaged during a power surge.

She was scrambling Wednesday morning trying to replace the spoiled products in time for lunch.

Hector Gonzalez, owner of Hector’s Taco Shop that opened last week, said he lost power in the afternoon and had to close before the expected dinner rush.

“People were disappointed,” he said.

Before that, he said, he was having “a very good day.”

When the power went out, employees used flashlights and tried to save as much food as possible. Gonzalez estimated he lost $1,500 in sales and about $500 worth of food.

The crash occurred around 3:15 a.m. Tuesday and caused the major power outage, according to Middletown police.

Kendra Decaille, 22, of Dayton, was charged with OVI and cited for reasonable control after she crashed her 2020 Nissan Sentra into a power pole near Verity Parkway and First Avenue, police said. She told police she drank about two shots of an alcoholic beverage.

Decaille was taken to Kettering Health Middletown for jail clearance and a medical evaluation, police said. Once police got to the hospital, she refused medical treatment for possible internal injuries from the crash.

Her arraignment was set for Wednesday in Middletown Municipal Court but it was postponed until 9 a.m. March 29, according to court records.

Duke Energy crews worked all day Tuesday restoring the power, said Scott Tadych, public works director.

Power was restored by 1 a.m. and Middletown dispatchers confirmed that crews at 1 a.m. had finished work and cleared the area.

About the Author