- Basics: 1061 Miamisburg-Centerville Road, Washington Twp.; Call (937) 610-1061
- Why it rates: Well-executed dishes in a dining room that strikes the right balance between elegant and not-too-formal, plus a great, reasonably priced wines-by-the-glass list.
Basics: 5 S. Market St., Troy; Call (937) 552-7676 Why it rates: Great blend of an intimate atmosphere and well-crafted dishes.
- Basics: 250 Warren St., Dayton; Call (937) 228-2626
- Why it rates: This restaurant has carved a strong reputation with its eclectic menu and inviting atmosphere.
- Basics: 19 E. Main St., Tipp City; Call (937) 667-0007
- Why it rates: This restaurant in downtown Tipp City serves up perfectly executed, creative dishes in a charming atmosphere — and, it won the online voting for the 2009 ActiveDayton "Best of Dayton" award for "Most Romantic Restaurant."
- Basics: 225 E. Sixth St., Dayton's Oregon Historic District; Call (937) 222-2892
- Why it rates: The antique bar is breathtaking, Jay's has the best wine list in the city, and the decadently rich chocolate mousse is guaranteed to melt a woman's (or man's) heart.
- Basics: 329 E. 5th St., Dayton; Call (937) 723-7637
- Why it rates: Lily's captured the most votes in the 2015 "Best of Dayton" designation as "Best Place to Take a Date," and with its romantic atmosphere, numerous nooks and crannies and laid-back attitude, it's easy to see why.
- Basics: 5531 Far Hills Ave., Washington Twp.; Call (937) 434-4750
- Why it rates: An eclectic but comfortable vibe, inspired cuisine and a well-chosen wine list make this an inviting destination.
- Basics: 453 Miamisburg-Centerville Road, Washington Twp.; Call (937) 567-8888
- Why it rates: This fondue restaurant's subdued lighting, glass-walled wine cellar and wine-themed artwork create an undeniably romantic atmosphere. And if you find chocolate an aphrodisiac, save room for dessert.
- Basics: 105 S. Second St., Miamisburg; Call (937) 802-0891
- Why it rates: A quiet, intimate atmosphere and an ever-changing, yet consistently fine, menu, enhanced by some creative cocktails.
Park City Club
- Basics: 580 Lincoln Park Blvd., Kettering; Call (937) 603-0333
- Why it rates: This relatively new restaurant from Roost Modern Italian owner Dana Downs boasts an elegant, tasteful decor and an inventive menu that invites exploration.
Shen's Szechuan & Sushi
- Basics: 7580 Poe Ave., Vandalia; Call (937) 898-3860
- Why it rates: The soft lighting and rich woods of this restaurant's interior make it one of the most inviting atmospheres in the Miami Valley.
Salar Restaurant & Lounge
- Basics: 400 E. Fifth St. , (937) 203-3999
- Why it rates: A beautifully renovated restaurant, with fine cocktails and creative dishes.
Roost Modern Italian
- Basics: 524 E Fifth St., (937) 222-3100
- Why it rates: Cozy atmosphere, upscale Italian cuisine combine to boost the romance quotient.
- Basics: 2450 Dayton-Xenia Road, Beavercreek; Call (937) 426-4600
- Why it rates: The high-backed and comfortable booths offer a bit of privacy, though you shouldn't assume your neighboring diners can't hear every word you're saying. Consistent service and an elegant atmosphere.
Other romantic restaurant options
If none of the options above struck your fancy, give one of these a whirl, or, if your favorite doesn't appear here, suggest it by emailing email@example.com, because we know we must be missing some good ones:
- Basil's on Market, Troy
- Bonefish Grille, Miami Twp.
- Brio, Beavercreek
- Carvers, Washington Twp.
- Greenfire Bistro, Tipp City
- Fleming's Prime Steakhouse & Wine Bar, Beavercreek
- Hawthorn Grill, Kettering
- J. Alexanders, Washington Twp.
- La Piazza, Troy
- Mamma DiSalvo's, Kettering
- McCormick & Schmick's, Beavercreek
- Michael Anthony's at the Inn, Versailles
- Pasha Grill, Beavercreek
- P.F. Chang's, Miami Twp.
- View 162 Restaurant & Lounge in the Crowne Plaza hotel, Dayton
- Thai 9, Dayton
- The Winds, Yellow Springs