This market is open year-round and is full of treasures — from the traditional to the not-so-traditional. Here are a few reasons to visit:
Restaurant: Smith's Market
Location: 1540 Moorfield Road in Northridge
Telephone: (937) 342-1136
Background/Overview: Bob Smith was just 12 years old when he earned an income from a consignment job selling produce for a Springfield market owner.
H.R. Hackett wanted to help several local kids keep busy in their free time, so he provided them his market’s produce to peddle at street corners in their neighborhoods. His generosity would prove to form the careers of Smith family members for generations.
» READ MORE: Springfield’s Mexican options to grow with new taco shop
Bob opened his first Smith’s Market in Springfield in 1946. Four years later, its location moved closer to downtown. His son Rick learned every aspect of the market’s operations throughout his childhood, and the business was turned over to him in 1979. The Smith family moved the market to its present position in Northridge in 1996.
Rick’s wife Peggy is a Certified Public Accountant who handles the market’s books, and their children help in the store when they’re home from college.
Smith’s is considered to be a farmer’s market that’s open year-round. Their massive stock includes: Buffalo meat; 191 varieties of bulk, chocolate, hard, holiday and sugar-free candies; gourmet nuts; “Pets & People” dog treats.
» READ MORE: Rudy’s is back on wheels for the season
Smith’s Market also has a large assortment of decorative containers/tins/baskets that can be filled to the specifications of an individual or corporation; or, you can bring in your own holder(s) to be custom filled for your special events or holidays.
- Buffalo meat (Urbana, OH): $11.99 lb.-$20 lb.
- Dried fruits: Banana chips, mixed fruit or dried pineapple — $2.99/$3.99 bag
- Gourmet chocolates: Includes: chocolate covered cherries, peanut clusters, pecan caramel patties, turtles — $6.99 lb. to $15.98 lb.
- Gourmet nuts: Includes: Almonds, cashews, peanuts, pecans, mixed nuts, walnuts — $7.99 bag
- Shelled peanuts: $1.79 bag.
- Jelly candy: Includes: Gum Drops, Orange Slices, Spice Slices — $2.69 bag
- Sesame sticks: Honey roasted, oat bran or regular flavor — $2.99 bag
- Unwrapped old-fashioned candy: Includes: Bon Bons, Cinnamon Balls, Jelly Nougats — $2.99/$3.99 bag
- Wrapped chewy & hard candy: Includes: Many flavors of Salt Water Taffy — $3.79 lb.
- Yoder's Preserves (Martinsburg, OH): All natural, no sugar added — $5.89 jar
- Raw honey: $10.49 jar
- "Pets & People" Dog Treats (Dayton, OH): Created by people with disabilities. Proceeds go to support Kenton Ridge Band and adults with disabilities — $5 bag
- Empty gift boxes/Gift Mason jars: $ .49-$2.99
- Empty candy/nut tins: $2.99-$3.99
- Empty bushel baskets: $4.99
- Filled wicker gift baskets (three days notice): Available in three sizes — $15-$35
- Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Smith's Market has indoor seating for 24 customers.
- Gift certificates are available for any amount.
- Hershey's Ice Cream Shop adjoins the Market and is open until mid-November: Hours: Monday to Friday, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. It has 44 flavors of ice cream — $2.67 to $3.97.
Look for local restaurant profiles by Glenn and Kim Creyts every other week in Life. For inquiries regarding this column, and “Restaurant Profile” ideas and suggestions for future columns, please contact Glenn and Kim via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Author