“I hope you’re right,” he responded.
Here are the seven points of Trump’s Dayton speech that garnered the most notable applause:
- Mention of U.S. Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Urbana.
- “Nobody’s done more for our military than what I’ve done.”
- “Buy American. Hire American.”
- About criticisms of his personality: “Who the hell cares about my personality?”
- “We will also live by our national motto: ‘In God we trust.’”
- Reference to standing during the national anthem.
- “We love Ohio. We love Dayton.”
Mentions of several people or topics garnered the strongest jeers and boos:
- Mention of Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, who was in the audience.
- Mention of Hillary Clinton
- Mention of the news media.
The crowd’s negative reaction to DeWine was even more pronounced when Lt. Gov. Jon Husted was warming up the crowd and mentioned DeWine’s name. Husted also garnered boos when he suggested wearing masks to show support for Trump, and when he asked about absentee voting versus voting in-person.