A 2-year-old boy found unresponsive last week in a bathtub filled with water has died, according to the Butler County Sheriff’s office.
The child’s parents called 911 around 8 p.m. Thursday from their home in the Catalina Manufactured Home Community. Deputies arrived within minutes and began CPR until medics arrived. The boy was taken by medical helicopter to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, where he later died.
Butler County Sheriff’s Detective Dan Turner said Bentley Stamper was in the bathtub when his father, Rodney Stamper, left the room to heat up food in the microwave. He heated the food for 2 minutes, then placed it on a plate for his other two children. When he returned to the bathroom, Bentley was face down in the water.
The investigation is ongoing, but Turner said it appears it was an accident.
“There is no indication of anything malicious,” Turner said.
The case will remain open until the autopsy lab tests are return and the Hamilton County coroner rules on the cause of death.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.