Cold case murder to get second look

Lillie Oglesby was a church-going 69-year-old mother of eight children.

A 14-year-old cold case murder of an elderly woman is now getting a new look by Det. Patricia Tackett of the Dayton Police Department.

Tackett said she was inspired to open the case file after a retired officer who was on the scene that night said he continues to be haunted by the case. Oglesby was beaten to death.

“I don’t think you could get any officer who has been on the job for any time frame that doesn’t have those cases that do affect you and will affect you forever,” said Tackett.

ExploreRELATED: Cold case: Woman beaten to death in rural Sugarcreek Twp.

Oglesby’s murder is one of those cases. The victim was a church-going, 69-year old mother of eight grown children. With the passing of her husband Buford, Oglesby was living alone in her house at 4612 Genesee Ave. on May 26, 2004.

“She just minded her own business and stayed in her home,” Tackett said. “She had her own vehicle, but mostly used it to run errands and go to church.”

Hardly a day went by that one of her children did not speak to her on the telephone or drop by the house on Genesee, where they grew up.

“We were just inseparable,” said Jocelyn Oglesby. “I’m the only girl. Seven brothers and I’m the only girl.”

Five of her children recently spoke to this news organization about their thoughts on what happened that night.

“She loved her kids. She loved every last one of her eight kids, ” said Darryl Oglesby. “Loved us to death and treated none of us differently.”

ExploreRELATED: Cold case: Jane Doe no more; woman identified in 37-year-old cold caseLillie Oglesby and her husband Buford. With Buford’s passing, Lillie lived alone in the house at 4612 Genesee Ave., where she was brutally murdered 14 years ago. CONTRIBUTED. Staff Writer

The evening of the murder, several of the children tried to call their mother and got no answer. Lillie’s son Vernon stopped at the house to check on her just after 9 p.m. He told the police he found the front door open, which was unusual.

“She was a very careful person,” said Jocelyn Oglesby. “No, Mama would not do that.”

Vernon said the television was on but the living room was empty. He found his mother on the floor next to her bed in a pool of blood. The Montgomery County Coroner’s Office said she fought for her life and died from multiple blunt force trauma.

“It was shocking. I couldn’t figure out why anybody would do my mother like that,” said Buford Oglesby, another son. “She didn’t hurt anybody. She would help you. She would give you whatever she had to help you. She was a great person.”

The children all said their mother was cautious about locked doors and for that reason, several of them believe she knew her killer.

“She’s not going to open that door for anyone that she does not know. That I know, ” Darryl said.

“I’m kind of wondering if she could have made a mistake or someone could have tricked her,” said her son Alan Oglesby. “Anything of that nature could have coerced her to open the door.”

ExploreRELATED: Cold case: Rape case solved after 16 years

The killer did leave fingerprints and DNA, which was only in its infancy at the time of the murder, so Tackett is resubmitting all of it for testing. She will also be talking to any potential witnesses who may have decided not to talk back in 2004.

“For some people, circumstances have changed. So would they be willing to talk now when maybe they wouldn’t (then)?” said Tackett.

She is also hoping Lillie’s children may remember something that will trigger a break in the case.

“That was their Mom. They would love to give some additional information to help us solve this case,” Tackett said.

For Lillie’s children, there have been many sleepless nights.

It’s hard to go everyday and you’re thinking about it. What happened? Who did this to our mother? Who would be a monster to do something like that? It would have to be a monster,” Buford said.

Added Alan: “Anybody who would go out of their way to commit such a violent crime on a defenseless woman, would have to be termed a monster. You still want to know the truth of the matter. I just want to know.”

Jocelyn Oglesby said a break in the case would give at least some comfort to the family.

“If you know something, anybody out there knows anything, please say something,” she said. “It will never bring her back, but it will bring some closure.”

If you can help

Anyone with information about the murder of Lillie Ogleby is asked to call Det. Patty Tackett at 937-333-7109.

About the Author