A former Springboro student was ordered to complete 25 hours of community service, continue attend school and abide by other conditions of his probation for inducing panic at the high school. STAFF/LAWRENCE BUDD
Photo: Lawrence Budd
Photo: Lawrence Budd

Community service, probation for student who induced panic at Springboro

It was the boy’s second juvenile conviction related to false school threats.

Judge Joe Kirby suspended a 90-day sentence, minus 14 days already served in Warren County detention, for the boy, 15, of Clearcreek Twp.

“The balance of said commitment is suspended upon the condition that defendant comply with all orders of the court,” according to the sentencing entry.

RELATED: Springboro school threat trial ends with talk of lesser charges

The judge ordered the boy to continue mental health counseling, attend school through the detention center and submit to random drug tests, but end electronic monitoring.

Kirby also ordered “defendant have no association or contact with or enter onto the premises of Springboro City Schools unless/until authorized to do so by Springboro administration,” according to the entry filed Thursday in Warren County Juvenile Court.

After a trial last month, the boy was found guilty of a lesser-included form of inducing panic, thus avoiding state detention because there was no school evacuation in the latest incident.

Kirby ruled the the boy caused “serious public inconvenience or alarm by initiating a conversation and making a comment to another student during math class to wear red to school the next day so that he wouldn’t get shot. Defendant made this comment knowing it was false.”

One student testified that he heard the defendant say “something to the effect of ‘sniping from the band tower.’” Still the boys left the math class believing the threat was a “joke,” Kirby said in his decision.

Another boy who heard about the alleged threat the next day in the locker room was concerned and told his mother and texted his coach, Ken Stuckey, who is also a school board member in Springboro. Stuckey called the police.

One friend told others later in the football locker room to wear red on Friday, Aug. 30, when the boy charged said he planned a shooting, according to testimony during the Oct. 4 trial.

RELATED: Springboro student accused of 2nd school threat to remain in detention

In October 2018, the defendant sent a Snapchat, showing him holding a firearm, to friend at lunch at Springboro Junior High School. A caption said, “Should I bring this to school?”

The boy admitted to sending the messages but “stated that he meant it as a joke and would never bring a gun to school,” records show.

On Dec. 3, he was convicted of attempting to make false alarms and ordered to do 25 hours of community service.

RELATED: Student in Springboro threat case has prior record

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.