Local man sentenced for importing Dutch ecstasy drug, dealing meth

Local man sentenced for importing Dutch ecstasy drug, dealing meth

A Washington Twp. man will spend six months in federal prison after being sentenced for importing the drug “ecstasy” from the Netherlands and for dealing methamphetamine.

Austin K. Alig, 24, was sentenced Friday in Dayton’s U.S. District Court on two counts related to drug dealing.

U.S. District Court Judge Walter Rice said Alig will get credit for six days jail-time credit, that he will be housed in a low-level prison camp as close as possible to Dayton and that he get a mental health assessment and counseling. Alig also was given three years’ probation and not ordered to pay a fine.

Alig will be allowed to report to the U.S. Marshals on March 11, 2019. Court records indicated the extra time would be to allow Alig “to establish a productive relationship with his mental health professional before his incarceration.”

Last year, Alig pleaded guilty to trying to import methylenedioxymethamphetamine (known as MDMA or ecstasy) and one for possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine.

Defense attorney Jon Paul Rion calculated Alig’s non-binding, advisory sentencing guideline at 46 to 57 months — or 3 years, 10 months to 4 years, 9 months. The statutory range is for each charge is from zero to 20 years in prison and up to a $1 million fine.

Rice said last year that Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) in Chicago alerted agents in Cincinnati that a K-9 had alerted to drugs. HSI replaced the MDMA/Ecstasy with fakes and arranged for them to be delivered to Alig’s residence on Falcon Ridge Court.

Two DVDs contained 510 purple tablets that field-tested positive for ecstasy. The third DVD contained a brownish-crystal like substance that field tested positive for ecstasy.

A search of Alig’s home also uncovered more than 50 grams of meth, a digital scale, small bags and other drug paraphernalia, according to a complaint written by an HSI special agent.

At a hearing earlier in 2018, Alig said he is a different person than the one when he was charged.

“I just feel really bad about what happened,” Alig said then. “I regret it every day and every night. … I’m never going to do anything like this again.”