One address on Huffman Ave. in Dayton has seen a rash of drug overdoses, with one of them fatal.
Paul McElfresh, 33, was found dead in an upstairs bedroom at 313 Huffman just before midnight Monday. The Coroner said the man had been dead for several hours. Police are investigating his death, which was discovered after a series of near-death overdoses at the address beginning about 90 minutes before.
The near-deaths were prevented by Narcan, a medication which reverses the effects of some opioids.
The calls began around 10:30 p.m. The first call was for a woman found unresponsive Monday at the same address. While officers administered Narcan, which had no effect, another man who was sitting in the room, slouched over and became unresponsive. Officers called for another medic. He eventually responded and declined to be transported to the hospital.
As the second medic arrived, the woman’s husband then became unresponsive and a medic was called to help him. Officers administered Narcan, which did not seem to work. Medics arrived and began more treatment, to which he responded. He was then taken to the hospital.
Tuesday morning, a 50 year old woman was found overdosed at the same address around 2:20 a.m. She was revived and taken to the hospital.
The four overdoses are just the latest in what police have speculated as stemming from a batch of “bad heroin” that may be being distributed to the area.
We are working to find out more about these latest cases, and will have more here and on News Center 7 and the Dayton Daily News.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.