Police headlines


Father jailed after daughter found with bruises

A father is facing charges after his daughter, who was reported missing, was found in a neighbor’s backyard with a black eye.

Wesley Stevenson, 36, was arrested Saturday at his home on Brookside Drive, according to police and jail records.

Police said Stevenson’s 9-year-old daughter was reported missing Friday. She was found by a schoolmate around 3 a.m. Saturday.

The girl was sitting on a swing in the backyard of a neighbor’s house, where she told police she planned to stay the night, according to the report.

The girl had a black eye on the left side of her face. She also had bruising indicative of being grabbed under one arm, which was discovered after she was taken to Dayton Children’s Hospital.

The girl told police her father hit her while yelling at her for breaking his cell phone.

Police said Montgomery County Children Services granted temporary custody to the girl’s mother.

Stevenson is being held in the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of child endangering. STAFF REPORT


Pizza shop robbed for second time this year

Little Caesars Pizza on East Dorothy Lane was robbed at about 10:30 a.m. Sunday.

Kettering police Lt. Kevin Kavanaugh said the robber, described as a 6-foot tall male, wore a black bandanna over his face and knocked on the back door asking for help.

“As soon as they opened the back door, he barged in, threatened them with a knife and made off with an undetermined amount of money,” Kavanaugh said.

Two female employees had just started their shifts to open the store when the robbery occurred.

Kavanaugh said that while robberies are rare in that part of the city, it’s the second robbery at the pizza shop this year. STAFF REPORT


Woman shot in head, suspect jailed

A suspect who allegedly shot a woman in the head Saturday night turned himself in to police early Sunday.

Police and medics were called at 9:09 p.m. Saturday to a shooting in the 700 block of 10th Street. The victim was flown to Miami Valley Hospital. Her name, age and condition have not been released.

Deangelo Jones, 19, turned himself in to detectives a few hours after the shooting, according to a news release from the Middletown Division of Police.

Jones had fled the scene on foot before police and medics arrived.

Police recovered a .357 revolver from Jones’ residence. The gun had been reported stolen, police said.

Jones was booked into the Middletown City Jail on two counts of weapons under disability, tampering with evidence and assault, with bond set at $47,000. He is set to be arraigned today in Middletown Municipal Court. STAFF REPORT


Condo fire damages at $35K, officials say

A fire started on the countertop of a kitchen and caused an estimated $35,000 in damages to a single-story condo on Hidden Valley Court, according to Fairborn Battalion Chief Adam Howard.

A neighbor called 911 after hearing a smoke detector and seeing smoke, he said.

Howard said police responded to the same location earlier in the day on the report of a rock being thrown through a window.

Howard said it’s unknown if the incident is related and the cause is under investigation.

“I don’t think this is a total loss of the structure, but it’s probably going to delay their move-in,” Howard said. STAFF REPORT


Sisters jailed in baseball bat beating

Two sisters were arrested Saturday night after allegedly beating a man with an aluminum bat.

The 28-year-old victim also faces a potential charge for fighting with officers who were trying to help him, according to the Dayton police report.

The melee happened around 11:30 p.m. in the 1300 block of Wyoming Street.

Dayton police arrested Megan Howard, 19, and Stephanie Morales, 25. They are being held in the Montgomery County Jail on suspicion of felonious assault and domestic violence.

Police said 30 to 40 people were in the street watching the disturbance when officers arrived.

Officers found the victim, Julio Cesar Franco Morales, lying on the ground and unable to stand or walk, which may have been partly due to being intoxicated, according to the report.

Witnesses told police the victim was beaten repeatedly with a bat, and an unknown male kicked him while he was down.

Howard and Stephanie Morales claimed they acted in self defense, and that Julio Morales was threatening to kill Stephanie Morales because she broke up with him, according to the report.

Julio fought with officers and had to be handcuffed before he was taken to Miami Valley Hospital.

Police said Julio ripped one officer’s uniform, broke his badge and damaged the officer’s name plate.

Julio Morales, who was summoned to court for assaulting the officer, was not listed as a patient at Miami Valley on Sunday.​ STAFF REPORT