Springboro student’s detention ends week after high school closing

The Springboro student charged in connection with the closing of the high school last week has been released after a week in detention.

The boy, 17, of Clearcreek Twp., had been held at the detention center in Lebanon since being charged last Thursday with inducing panic, breaking and entering, petty theft and criminal trespassing.

RELATED: Student held on charges after school closing

Springboro school officials said the school was closed so police could sweep the building and begin their investigation because staff failed to notify administrators for more than three hours - until it was almost time for the school day to begin.

The school reopened on Friday, but the boy remained in detention until Wednesday, when Judge Joe Kirby ordered him released to his parents on an electronic monitor.

RELATED: Springboro student charged in connection with school’s closing

“The defendant is ordered into the S.O.S (Supporting Opportunities for Success) Program at Mary Haven Youth Center for educational and/or monitoring purposes,” Kirby added in filings following Wednesday’s court hearing.

Kirby also placed the boy on house arrest and banned him from school grounds.

RELATED: See how the case unfolded on WHIO Breaking News

Last Friday, Kirby ordered the boy held for a risk assessment.

The judge said he was not ready to allow the boy to go home with his parents in light of allegations he had been walking around the school between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. Oct. 25.

Both times custodians walked the boy out of the school without notifying school administrators, according to the district Communications Coordinator Scott Marshall.

The student has denied the charges.

On Wednesday, Kirby ordered the boy and his parents to return to court on Dec. 17 for another pretrial hearing.

MORE: Springboro-Lebanon football game photo gallery

No school staff was disciplined.

“The custodial staff were instructed about district procedures on alerting administrative staff, and/or the police department in a situation such as yesterday,”Marshall said last week in a statement.

About the Author