Caption

State to move homes where Pike County shooting victims found

Thursday — just one day short of three weeks since the unsolved murders of eight Pike County family members — investigators began moving the four mobile homes where the bodies of Rhoden family members were found.

Relatives and investigators discovered the eight people shot and killed “execution style” April 22.

>> RELATED: Learn more about the 8 Pike County victims

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said Thursday that the four mobile homes were being taken to a secure location primarily to preserve evidence, but he also said it was to protect Rhoden family mementos.

“We want to make sure we are preserving them for family members,” DeWine said. “There are pictures in there, and other things, very important to the family members.”

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Dayton Mall Sears location in Miami Township to close Sunday
  2. 2 Pike County murders: Court dates set for Wagners accused in killings
  3. 3 Three nurses indicted for drug theft, allegedly for personal use

>> RELATED: Thank God they didn’t take those babies

DeWine spoke from the investigation command center in Waverly, where evidence will be kept.

On Union Hill Road, where the trailers were being removed, sheriff’s deputies continued to block access and only allowed local residents to travel on the section of the road where the bodies had been found.

Three of the four mobile homes had been secured, DeWine said, and officials will secure the fourth home in the next few days. The move was authorized by a judge, he said.

He could not say when Union Hill might reopen or how long the investigation might take.

“On the second day (of the investigation), I think I said this could very well be a long investigation,” DeWine said. “When you end up finding bodies and you don’t have a witness, the nature of these cases is you are putting a puzzle together.”

“This will not be solved overnight.”

Those killed were: Gary Rhoden, 38; his cousin, Christopher Rhoden Sr., 40; Christopher’s brother, Kenneth Rhoden, 44; his ex-wife, Dana Rhoden, 37; and their three children: Hanna Rhoden, 19; Christopher Rhoden Jr., 16; Hannah Gilley, 20; and Clarence “Frankie” Rhoden, 20.

The attorney general was asked if those who killed the Rhodens were likely from out of the area or local.

“I won’t speculate on who did it,” DeWine said.

Anyone with information and/or video that could assist with the ongoing investigation is asked to contact investigators at 855-BCI-OHIO (224-6446) or 740-947-2111.

More from Daytondailynews