Yellow Springs cop cleared, fired

Officer John Whittemore, a probationary village officer hired in March, was fired on July 5.

“Officer Whittemore was probationarily terminated because he was not a good fit for the community,” said Patti Bates the village manager in a written statement.

An internal investigation report dated the same day as Whittemore’s termination indicated he exercised “improper conduct” stating there was information missing from a one page narrative of his report. The missing facts became known later after Whittemore completed his report and the investigation was initiated, wrote Sgt. Joshua Knapp in the 18-page internal investigation report.

The investigation stemmed from an arrest Whittemore made on May 30. Around 9:30 p.m., Whittemore saw Leonid Alexander Clark walking near a hotel on Xenia Avenue. In the report, Whittemore noted Clark appeared to be “agitated,” under the influence of alcohol and failed to obey commands to stop walking.

“Facts such as the correlation of a person experiencing a mental health crisis as compared to the observable behavior Mr. Clark were not present,” Knapp wrote. “Also not present were any of Officer Whittemore’s previous experiences as a police officer to help establish himself as a reasonable officer which would be taken into account in establishing his reasonable suspicion. There was information related to the use of force by Officer Whittemore that was also not articulated in the report.”

Whittemore reported he put his hand on Clark’s wrist to keep him from walking away before Clark tried to break free and turned toward the officer in “an aggressive manner.”

“I attempted to place Clark in an arm bar joint manipulation to gain compliance from him, but he began to wrestle with me,” Whittemore wrote. “I again attempted to place him in a arm bar to gain compliance, but he put his free arm around the back of my neck and tried to pull my head toward him. Fearing I may be assaulted, I delivered a knee strike to Clark’s torso, enabling me to gain distance from him and free myself from his grasp, however, he continued to fight with me.”

Clark didn’t show any signs of injury to his torso.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.