Mound Laboratories played a prominent role in the Manhattan Project developing atomic energy during World War II.
RELATED: Dayton History to shed light on top-secret Mound work
The museum at 1075 Mound Round is a cooperative effort between Dayton History, the Department of Energy Office of Legacy Management, and the Mound Science and Energy Museum Association.
The work at the site overlooking Miamisburg east of the Great Miami River from the 1940s until it was phased out in the 1990s was cloaked in “international intrigue” as the heavily-secured center researched atomic and nuclear weapons, and how to advance space exploration, according to Brady Kress, president and chief executive officer of the Carillon Park-based Dayton History.
At peak operation, the Mound employed approximately 2,500 people and occupied 116 buildings across 306 acres.
DOWNLOAD OUR MOBILE APPS FOR LATEST BREAKING NEWS
The center will be free and open to the public, offering tours, educational programs, workshops, school visits, and lectures for those interested in history.