He expects as the merchandise is shifted, stores will begin to close in three to four weeks. Managers at local Elder-Beerman stores said are not sure of exact close dates at this time, but the store at the Mall at Fairfield Commons expects to remain open through August.
» BIZ BEAT: New discount clothing retailer may be coming to Dayton Mall
Bon-Ton first announced the company would be liquidated in April, following a January announcement that it would close about 40 of its stores. Before the first round of closings, Bon-Ton employed about 24,000 people, including hundreds in the Dayton area. The company operated roughly 250 stores in 23 states under the Bon-Ton, Bergner’s, Boston Store, Carson’s, Elder-Beerman, Herberger’s and Younkers brands.
The store, which got its start in Dayton, has four stores in the Dayton area.
FIVE FAST READS
• Family Video closing 2 area stores, selling movies for as low as $1
• Macy’s to expand pop-up marketplace with new partnership
• Dayton flight to Houston successful; could lead to two flights
• Video game chain GameStop may be up for sale
• UPDATE: Beavercreek shopping center to expand