The Dayton Daily News reported in 2007 that illness forced the owners of the Golden Nugget Pancake House to close a second location at 1510 N. Keowee St.
>>MORE: 5 must-try Dayton diners
Trying to run one business and to rebuild and reopen another while coping with a family illness “was just impossible,” a family member said at the time.. “We just can’t do it anymore.”
>>RELATED: 9 of the best brunch spots in Dayton
Original owner Steve Thomas and his wife, Bessie, opened the first Golden Nugget off North Main Street in downtown Dayton, then moved the restaurant to its South Dixie Highway location. The family opened its second restaurant at North Keowee Street and Stanley Avenue in 1975.
Steve Thomas died in 1996, and his daughters have operated the restaurants.
FIVE FAST READS
• Family Video closing 2 area stores, selling movies for as low as $1
• Macy’s to expand pop-up marketplace with new partnership
• Dayton flight to Houston successful; could lead to two flights
• Video game chain GameStop may be up for sale
• UPDATE: Beavercreek shopping center to expand