All staff will be trained to properly implement these protocols, the district Monday announced in a news release.
The preventive measures include:
- Before students get on a DPS bus, parents are asked to check their student's temperature and check for symptoms of COVID-19.
- Parents who suspect their student may have COVID-19 are asked to keep the student home and inform school personnel if there is a confirmed diagnosis.
- Students will have temperature and symptom checks upon arrival at school-- If a student has a fever or COVID-19 symptoms, the student will be isolated and monitored by the school nurse until a parent arrives.-- The district requests that parents arrive as quickly as possible to take their student to be tested for COVID-19.
- All students and staff must wear face masks or face shields, as appropriate.-- All face coverings will be provided by the district-- Students will leave these personal face shields at school each day. -- Older students will use alcohol wipes to sanitize their shields for the following day. The district will sanitize the face shields of younger students.
- All desks will be at least two feet apart, in accordance with the safety requirements set forth by the county health department. -- All desks will be arranged in rows that face forward.-- No small group pods or desks facing each other will be allowed.
- All buses will be loaded from the back seats forward, so students do not cross one another's path while entering. -- The district requests that students wear a mask while waiting for the bus as well as while riding the bus. -- The district will provide masks for students who do not have them. However, students should keep their masks to use on the buses. A limited supply is available.
- Movement outside the classroom will be minimized to prevent students from passing others or congregating in hallways. -- At the elementary and middle school level, teachers will change classrooms rather than students. For music, art and gym classes, movement in the halls will be limited to one class at a time. -- Information will be shared later about how classroom transitions will work for high school students.
- The lunch and recess process also will change. More details will be shared at a later time.
- No visitors will be permitted in any school.
- Each building will have a thorough cleaning and sanitation schedule.
- Students and staff must practice proper handwashing. Hand sanitizer will be available in each classroom.