World War II veteran Jim “Pee Wee” Martin was presented with The WWII Foundation 2018 “Leadership Award” at the National Museum of the United States Air Force on Saturday, June 9, 2018.

D-Day vets reflect on the invasion 75 years later

Fewer than half-a-million of the 16 million Americans who fought to liberate Europe in World War II are still alive today, and on the 75th anniversary of the D-Day invasion an even smaller number are still around to share their stories.

June 6, 1944, which came to be known as D-Day, was the largest amphibious invasion in history. It is often referred to as the turning point of World War II and is said to have paved the way for the end of the conflict.

There is no accurate estimate of just how many D-Day veterans are still alive today. But, at least four living veterans from the Dayton region served a role in the invasion.

» RELATED: Once erased from the map, 150-year-old Dayton VA tunnel could be reopened

Army Pfc. Albert L. Carr, Navy Radioman 1st Class Marion Adams, Army Airborne Pfc. James H. “Pee Wee” Martin and Army Pfc. Lawson Adkins are some of the 19,618 World War II veterans that call Ohio home today, according to the most recent data available from the U.S. Census and the National World War II Museum.

Each of the local D-Day veterans risked their lives but have remained humble about the role they played in the successful invasion 75 years ago. None consider themselves to be heroes and they all said they would have served their country again if called on.

“If necessary, I’d start tomorrow,” said Carr. “I’d actually start today but it would take a little while to get ready.”

D-Day veteran Albert Carr comments about how thin he was when the picture of him in his Army uniform was taken 75 years ago. BILL LACKEY/STAFF
Photo: Staff Writer

Together, the D-Day vets will be inducted into the Ford Oval of Honor during a ceremony and reception at the National Museum of the Air Force on June 20. At the ceremony, each will have the chance to meet and hear from David Eisenhower, the grandson of World War II general Dwight D. Eisenhower who went on to become president.

Each vet reflected on his service and shared stories of D-Day and the war with the Dayton Daily News as today’s 75th anniversary of the invasion approached.

Marion Adams

World War II veteran Marion Adams from Covington, Ohio was a radio operator on a Navy LST or Landing Ship, Tank on D-Day. TY GREENLEES / STAFF
Photo: Staff Writer

The ship Adams was on, Landing Ship Transport for Tanks 491, landed at Utah Beach on D-Day.

His ship was tasked with delivering parts for the 101st Airborne Division, Adams said. Adams described the feeling he had in one word as his ship approached the beaches of Normandy: scared.

“I thought it was my last day on Earth,” Adams said. “In training, they said these ships would make only one invasion, that they would never get off the beach. After awhile you come to believe that. You accept it.”

» RELATED: Air Force chief of staff praises community response to tornado at Wright-Patt

On Adams’ 21st birthday June 11, his ship transported part of the British, Canadian, French and Polish forces onto Gold Beach in Normandy. After each landing, the ship transported wounded and prisoners back to England.

Throughout the D-Day invasion, Adams, 95, of Covington said he was on four of the five beaches of Normandy.

Following D-Day, Adams participated in Operation Dragoon, the invasion of Southern France and later he served in the invasion of Okinawa.

Though Adams said he was happy to come home in February 1946, he said he would do it all over again if he had to.

“If I had to, I would like to have the job I had before,” Adams said. “I don’t know how lucky I was. But, I feel like I really lucked out.”

Albert L. Carr

D-Day veteran Albert Carr is very proud of the Purple Heart medal he received during WWII. Carr was shot twice during he service in the war. BILL LACKEY/STAFF
Photo: Staff Writer

Carr, 94, was in the Army’s 29th Division and 116th Regiment and he was part of the second wave of the invasion on Omaha Beach in Normandy.

“We had gone through a lot of training but there’s a big difference in being in training and having an artillery shooting over your head,” Carr said.

But, it was a “necessary thing,” Carr said. If the Nazis had stayed in power, Carr said he’d “hate to know what could have happened.”

» RELATED: Air Force Museum’s new D-Day exhibit puts visitors in virtual parachutes

Just 11 days after landing in Normandy, Carr was shot in the neck.

After being sent to the hospital and healing, he returned to his company and late in July. Then, he was shot for a second time in the shoulder.

The Springfield resident received two purple hearts for his injuries in the line of duty. He was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge and the Presidential Citation Medal.

“I thought my whole jaw was gone,” Carr said about the first time he was shot. “The way it was bleeding, I thought: my blood is going to run out real quick…It was a rude awakening.”

James H. “Pee Wee” Martin

110206—-Jim Martin was a member of the 101st Airborne Division on D Day. He and his group jumped 25 miles behind enemy lines the night before the invasion under heavy German artillery fire. He also saw action in Holland, the Battle of the Bulge, and Germany, liberating a concentration camp and Hitler’s Bavarian home. He was awarded two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. STAFF PHOTO BY BILL REINKE.
Photo: Staff Writer

Martin, 98, joined the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment at Camp Toccoa, Ga., in July 1942. He parachuted into Normandy near Saint-Come-du-Mont behind Utah Beach at 12:30 a.m. on D-Day.

“Everybody was all gung-ho, we’re going to kill all the damn Germans. Of course we had never been any place. We had no frame of reference,” Martin said. “People said: ‘Were you afraid?’ We were too stupid to be afraid.”

Martin earned the nickname “Pee Wee” by being the lightest paratrooper in his regiment.

James “Pee Wee” Martin, of Sugarcreek Twp., was a member of the 101st Airborne Division on D Day. He and his group jumped 25 miles behind enemy lines the night before the invasion under heavy German artillery fire. He also saw action in Holland, the Battle of the Bulge, and Germany, liberating a concentration camp and Hitler’s Bavarian home. He was awarded two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star.
Photo: Staff Writer

After landing in France, his mission was to delay Nazis from responding to the invasion on the coast and to disrupt communications. Martin fought in the Normandy campaign for 33 days until the 101st Airborne was relieved in July, allowing him to return to England.

He later fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and received a Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and European African Middle Eastern Service Medal for his service.

Despite his awards, Martin of Greene County said it wasn’t a sacrifice but a privilege to have had the chance to serve in World War II. He insists he is not a hero.

“That word is terribly overused. When you volunteer for something dangerous, you train for it and you get paid for it. You’re not a hero… Would I do it again? In a heartbeat.”

Lawson Adkins

Lawson Adkins, US Army Private 1st Class, drove a truck ashore on D-Day. The truck was loaded with ammunition and machine guns In April, Adkins received the French Legion of Honor medal.
Photo: Staff Writer

When he landed on the beaches of Normandy in the early morning of June 6, 1944, Adkins drove his truck ashore across a temporary bridge between his ship and land.

“When I landed on Utah Beach about 3 a.m. of course the truck bogged down in the sand,” Adkins of Wilmington said. “That kind of worried me.”

Loaded with ammunition and machine guns, his truck was a target for German snipers. He not only carried critical supplies to the front, but transported wounded soldiers and enemy prisoners with him on his return trips.

» RELATED: F-35 program with hundreds of jobs gets OK to move to Wright-Patt

As he drove onto the beach that day, Adkins said he wasn’t scared or nervous because “he didn’t know what was going on, hardly.”

Adkins received a Bronze Star for his actions. On April 6, he received the French Legion of Honor, a recognition established by Napoleon Bonaparte in 1802 that is awarded to foreign nationals who served France.

While Adkins, 97, was serving in World War II, his oldest son was born. He desperately wanted to get home to his family.

But, despite all the hardship that came with serving during the invasion and the months afterward, he said he would do it all over again if his country needed him to.

“That was kind of rough going, it was for me,” Adkins said. “I’ll never forget that.”


• Stories of Survival: Brookville couple feels ‘lucky’ to be alive after tornado outbreak

• State proposal could lower college tuition for active duty military

• Cash-strapped Wilberforce University trying to raise $2M by June 30

• Fundraising email calling congresswoman a terrorist was sent in UD student’s name

• Payroll Project: See how much Wright State’s top paid employees make

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.