FEMA: Tornado survivors may be eligible for more rental assistance if repairs slow

Tornado survivors may be eligible for additional Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) rental assistance if repairs are taking longer than expected.

Homeowners and renters who initially received rental assistance from FEMA as a result of the Memorial Day tornadoes must document the need for additional rental assistance by providing FEMA with a completed Declaration of Continuing Need for Rental Assistance, according to FEMA, which will also require other paperwork to show the initial funds went to pay for new housing.

MORE: Not all tornado survivors sign up for FEMA assistance

If you did not receive a declaration form in the mail, contact the FEMA Helpline to request one be mailed to you or request one in person at a disaster recovery center.

For more information, call 800-621-3362 (including 711 or Video Relay). TTY users can call 800-462-7585. The toll-free numbers are open from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Multilingual operators are available.

Three FEMA disaster recovery centers remain open in the area from 8:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday.

Montgomery County

Trotwood-Madison High School

4440 N. Union Rd., Trotwood

Dayton Children’s Hospital Child Health Pavilion

1010 Valley St., Dayton

Greene County

Shaw Elementary School

3560 Kemp Rd., Beavercreek

MORE: Partners to formalize long-term tornado recovery organization

The declaration form with the paperwork can sent to FEMA’s Individuals and Households Program by:

Mailing them to the National Processing Service Center, P.O. Box 10055, Hyattsville MD 20782-8055.

Faxing them to 1-800-827-8112.

Uploading them to your online account at DisasterAssistance.gov (or creating a new account at the website and uploading them to it).

About the Author