Residents of an one-story apartment complex were displaced by a fire that badly damaged the East John Street building in Springfield early Tuesday morning.
No injuries were reported.
Fires crews were called out to the 1000 block of East John Street around 2:06 a.m. after receiving reports of heavy smoke in the area, said Assistant Chief Matt Smith.
The fire started on the stove top of one of the complex’s eight units. A pot on the stove had some cooking oil or grease in it and caught fire, spreading to the upper cabinets and throughout the apartment.
Smith described the apartment as “totally gone.”
>> PHOTOS: Springfield Apartment Fire
The three apartments surrounding it were moderately to severely damaged and the remaining four apartments sustained minor damage.
At least six residents, including one child, were displaced. But Smith said that the department was still getting into contact with residents who weren’t home at the time of the fire.
About the Author