Unattended candle sparks house fire in Xenia, officials say

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

caption arrowCaption
Crews battle house fire in Xenia

Credit: DaytonDailyNews

UPDATE @ 6:15 a.m: An unattended candle likely sparked an early Monday morning house fire on Omard Drive, officials say.

The incident was dispatched just before 5 a.m. as a working fire in the 1400 block of Omard Drive.

The owner discovered the fire when she returned home and attempted to calm the flames by opening a window. However, this caused flames to amplify, officials said.

OTHER LOCAL NEWS: Good Samaritan Hospital officially closes 

A home nearby also was exposed to flames and sustained damage, officials confirm.

The homeowner is being checked by medical personnel for smoke inhalation. Occupants of a nearby home did not suffer any injuries.

Damage estimates were not immediately available, though crews say interior damage is extensive.

INITIAL REPORT

We are responding to a report of a house fire on Omard Drive in Xenia.

No other information is available at this time. We have a crew on the way, and we’ll bring you the latest information when it becomes available.

Got a tip? Call our monitored 24-hour line, 937-259-2237, or send it to newsdesk@cmgohio.com

About the Author