Fire officials believe a cooking mishap may have caused the large blaze at a Washington Township condominium complex Sunday afternoon.
Crews were dispatched to the 1900 block of Washington South Drive at 1:15 p.m. on reports of a building fire. Once on scene, they found heavy black smoke pouring from an attic area of a unit of four condos.
No life-threatening injuries were reported in the fire that officials say affected at least ten of the complex's twelve units. Responders pulled one woman off of a second floor balcony and one man from a stairwell during the initial response, they were both taken to area hospitals.
A rescuer was hospitalized as well. "One fire fighter became ill on the scene," said Washington Twp. Fire Chief Bill Gaul.
He couldn't confirm the cause of the fire but said early reports show it may have stemmed from a grease fire in one of the center units, spreading outward from there. "It's possibly a cooking fire," Gaul said.
The destruction topped $100,000, resulting in the State Fire Marshall's office being called in to investigate. "The center section of four units is pretty well destroyed now," Gaul said.
A few pets are believed to be missing after the blaze but the injuries to residents were limited to smoke inhalation and some burns.
An investigation into the fire is ongoing.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.