Caption

Prosecutor: Child sex victim testifies to years of abuse in Xenia

A week-long trial of a man charged with raping a child at a home in Xenia ended late Friday with a guilty verdict.

A jury found 36-year-old Anthony R. Moore guilty on three counts of rape by force, five counts of rape of a child under age 13 and five counts of gross sexual imposition.

The sex crimes first came to light in June 2017 when the mother of the alleged victim, who was known to the defendant, contacted Xenia police, according to records on file with the court.

STAY CONNECTED: Greene County News on Facebook

The mother told police she was sleeping on the couch and her daughter was sleeping in her bed when the defendant got in bed with her daughter, according to the detective’s statement that led to Moore’s arrest on July 2, 2017.

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Recommended for you

Most read

  1. 1 Sears closing at Fairfield Commons Mall
  2. 2 National Cheeseburger Day 2018: Deals and freebies on burgers
  3. 3 Election 2018: What is State Issue 1 in Ohio?

The victim pretended to be asleep because she was afraid of Moore as he proceeded to have intercourse with her, according to the detective’s statement.

That incident was count 19, and the investigation revealed that the abuse had been ongoing for more than two years, starting when the victim was 11 years old, according to Alice DeWine, assistant prosecutor.

MORE: Teachers Air Camps to lead to classroom wind tunnels in Greene County

DeWine said the victim testified for four hours during the second day of the trial.

“The victim’s family believed her. That’s what got this started,” she said. “She testified that at some point it was happening every day.”

DeWine said Judge Buckwalter handed the case to the jury shortly before 4 p.m. Friday and they returned a verdict about three hours later.

“When I went back to talk to the jury, almost all of them were in tears. It was just very emotional for them,” DeWine said.

Moore was originally indicted on 20 sex-related charges in July 2017.

Moore’s attorney Adrian King said several charges against his client were dropped after the state rested its case.

King said a lot of witnesses were called to testify in the case. He said the court will be looking into Moore’s background to better inform Judge Michael Buckwalter on what the most appropriate sentence should be.

MORE: Judges at odds over courtoom; commissioners vote for new space

“It was a sad day for everbyody involved, the families of both the victim as well as my client,” King said. “A situation like this is one where nobody wins.”

King said he plans to appeal the outcome of the trial.

Moore faces a minimum sentence of 10 years to life and a maximum of 108 years in prison, DeWine said.

Sentencing is scheduled to happen in April.

More from Daytondailynews