At least one sign commemorating a Franklin High School basketball star’s recognition as an Ohio Mr. Basketball will be re-erected at a key city entryway.
Franklin City Council agreed during a planning meeting Saturday that a sign recognizing Luke Kennard’s basketball accomplishments will be posted again. Council was discussing signage to help promote the city.
There had previously been issues with similar signs about Kennard being stolen. City officials believe the signs were stolen sometime after Kennard declared his intentions to enter the 2017 NBA draft and forgo his final two years at Duke University. Two of the five signs Franklin erected commemorating Kennard’s 2014 and 2015 Ohio Mr. Basketball titles were stolen.
Kennard was drafted by the Detroit Pistons in the first round of the 2017 NBA draft and was the 12th player picked overall. He is a shooting guard for the Pistons.
City officials opted to remove the other signs to prevent them from being stolen.
City Manager Sonny Lewis said the signs that were posted in high traffic areas were not stolen. He said the city is determining how to better secure the signs to prevent thefts.
Steve Inman, city public works director, said there were five signs made for $155 each. He said the two that were taken were located in the north area of the city, at the point where River and Main streets meet and on North Dixie Highway.
About the Author