Obi Toppin starred for Dayton with 29 points on 10-of-16 shooting and grabbed 12 rebounds. Jalen Crutcher scored 14. Ryan Mikesell and Rodney Chatman each had 12.
Indiana State stayed close for most of the game by getting to the free-throw often and making their shots. They made 21 of 27, while Dayton made 21 of 30.
Crutcher hit a floater at the buzzer to end the first half, giving the Flyers a 38-33 halftime lead.
Here are five quick impressions of the Flyers in their first game:
1. Dayton started the same players who started the exhibition: Crutcher, Toppin, Chase Johnson, Chatman and Mikesell.
» UD ARENA: Fans write about their favorite memories
2. Dayton played nine of its 10 available players in the first half. Only freshman Moulaye Sissoko did not play. Jordy Tshimanga is out with a knee injury.
3. The Flyers struggled from 3-point range, making 3 of 14. Chatman made 2 of 3. Ibi Watson made 1 of 2.
4. Toppin was dominant. He had the first basket of the season for the second straight season and had 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting with several dunks.
5. The officials dominated the action by calling 10 fouls on Indiana State and nine on Dayton. The Sycamores stayed in the game by making 12 of 16 free throws.