“The district meet is as exciting as the state meet because the competition is so tough,” Springboro coach Tucker Flaherty said. “There will be some great races.”
Springboro’s 200 medley team of Clough, senior Abby Locke, Hill and sophomore Abby Susec set a meet record at the prestigious Southwest Classic in January in 1:44.59.
The foursome of Susec, Clough, junior Molly Arneson and Hill set a Classic record in the 400 free relay in 3:28.45.
Those two times are still the top times in Ohio this season.
As for individual events, Hill enters the 100 free as the top-seeded district swimmer and is No. 3 in the 100 backstroke.
Clough is seeded No. 4 in the 100 butterfly and No. 5 in the 100 back.
“The girls were just so excited (with the Classic records) and they carried that excitement on through the rest of the season,” Flaherty said. “It showed up at GWOC. It showed at the sectional. They know they can achieve something this year and they are really excited about it. They’re closely knit. They’re pumping each other up and they’re ready.”
The top two swimmers in each event automatically qualify for the state meet in Canton. The next 16 swimmers qualify on the best times from the four state-wide district meets.
For the Springboro boys, senior Michael Sandner enters the D-I meet as the ninth-seeded swimmer in the 200 individual medley and No. 11 in the 100 fly.
“They all have a really good work ethic,” Flaherty said. “They’re really attached to the sport. One of the other things I like about it is we have really good academics as well. The GWOC does scholar-athletes and normally we have only one or two people who aren’t scholar-athletes. Swimming translates to that and their ability to budget their time and focus.”
Among additional swimmers to watch at the D-I district meet:
• Centerville senior Liz Quarin is No. 3 in the 500 free and senior Lauren Lampe is No. 3 in the 100 breast. Senior Pruitt Walther is No. 4 in the 200 IM. Junior Nicola Lane is No. 7 in the 200 free and No. 9 in the 100 back.
• Fairmont senior M.E. Smith is No. 9 in the 500 free and No. 10 in the 200 free.
• Beavercreek junior Peyton Farrell is No. 6 in the 100 fly and No. 9 in the 200 IM. Junior teammate Namie Edge is No. 6 in the 200 IM.
• Centerville senior Josh Wiedemann is No. 6 in the 50 free. Senior Alan Flower is No. 5 in the 500 free and No. 6 in the 200 free. Junior Sebass Villa is No. 8 in the 100 breast.
• Beavercreek freshman Dillon Edge is No. 6 in the 200 IM. Sophomore Wesley Schauer is No. 8 in the 100 fly, junior Nate Holty is No. 8 in the 200 IM and junior Michael Rine is No. 9 in the 100 free.
• Butler sophomore Matt Brunsky is No. 7 in the 100 free.