Anna rocked the Midwest Athletic Conference and previously unbeaten Coldwater 21-20 in a significant Week 8 high school football upset on Friday.
The win unofficially shot the Rockets (6-2, 5-1) up to third in the Division V, Region 18 computer rankings. Coldwater (7-1, 5-1) dropped to No. 3 in D-VI, Region 24.
»RELATED: Wayne outlasts Fairmont in shootout
»PHOTOS: Fairmont at Wayne, Week 8 football
Anna quarterback Bart Bixler connected with Isaac Lininger on a 20-yard touchdown pass late in the fourth quarter and the Rockets added a 2-point conversion for the go-ahead points. Riley Huelskamp had 164 yards rushing and Lininger 133 and two scores for Anna.
Marion Local (8-0, 6-0) takes over sole possession of the MAC and the D-VI, Region 24 lead following a 7-6 dodging of Minster. The Flyers’ Nolan Habodasz scored on a 74-yard run. Marion Local has won 35 consecutive games since last losing to Coldwater in Week 3 of 2016.
»RELATED: Lebanon back in football playoff contention
»PHOTOS: Miamisburg at Lebanon, Week 8 football
Marion Local, Mechanicsburg (7-1) and Coldwater all unofficially have clinched D-VI, Region 24 playoff spots.
Here’s some other Week 8 highlights from Friday’s games:
• The Greater Western Ohio Conference unofficially has five teams among the top eight in the D-I, Region 3 field: Northmont (No. 3), Springfield (No. 4), Fairmont (No. 6), Miamisburg (No. 7) and Wayne (No. 8).
»RELATED: D-I boys district golf goes OT
»RELATED: Here comes streaking Alter
That GWOC lineup won’t stay put for long. Wayne (6-2) is at Springfield (7-1) in Week 9. In Week 10 it’s Northmont (7-1) at Miamisburg (6-2), Fairmont (6-2) at Springfield and Trotwood-Madison (6-2) at Wayne.
All those outcomes will have a big impact on which teams make the postseason cut or host a first-round game. The top eight in each of the 28 regions qualify for the playoffs.
»RELATED: Week 8 football power ratings
»RELATED: Northmont new No. 1 in D-I, Region 3
• Northmont QB Miles Johnson completed 19 of 23 passes for 287 yards and four touchdowns in a 35-20 win at Centerville. Justin Golson was John’s go-to target with 10 catches for 187 yards and three scores. Golson leads the GWOC with 38 catches for 718 yards and 13 TDs.
Elks freshman QB Chase Harrison was 28 of 46 passing for 261 yards and two TDs. Centerville (0-8) is at rival Fairmont in Week 9.
»RELATED: D-I, Region 3 rankings all shook up
»RELATED: Northmont knocks off unbeaten Springfield
• Springboro junior Willieon Yates had a career-high 228 yards rushing and three TDs in a 37-0 defeat of visiting Fairborn. Panthers QB Landon Palmer was 13 of 17 passing for 173 yards and two touchdowns.
• Miamisburg senior QB Tate Vongsy passed Matt Muncy as the Vikings’ all-time career leader in total offense during Thursday’s 13-12 setback at Lebanon. Needing 138 yards, Vongsy was 14 of 30 passing for 172 yards and added 10 yards rushing. That surpassed Muncy’s mark of 4,458 total yards.
»PHOTOS: Springfield at Northmont, Week 7 football
»TWITTER: You should like @MarcPendleton
• Branden McDonald had 108 yards rushing and QB Connor Bazelak completed 10 of 13 passes for 145 yards as Alter defeated visiting Badin at Fairmont, 17-7. It was the seventh straight win by the Knights (7-1) and marked their 21st consecutive defeat of the Rams.
Bazelak had TD passes to Jack DiMario (22 yards) and Derek Willits (28). Alter remains atop the Greater Catholic League Co-Ed North at 5-0 and can clinch at least a tie for the title by winning at McNicholas in Week 9. Chaminade Julienne (7-1, 4-1) and Fenwick (6-2, 4-1) are tied for second in the North.
»FACEBOOK: For more sports you should like Marc Pendleton
»PHOTOS: Fairmont at Miamisburg, Week 6 football
Quincy Johnson had two TD runs, including a 95-yarder, and Luke Chandler added another in CJ’s 20-14 defeat of visiting McNicholas. A junior running back, Johnson had career highs of 33 rushes and 246 yards. CJ is at Badin in Week 9.
Carroll scored 13 unanswered points in the second half to defeat visiting Roger Bacon 33-21 and snap a three-game losing streak. The Patriots (5-3, 2-3) are at Purcell Marian in Week 9.
»PHOTOS: Oakwood at Brookville, Week 6 football
»PHOTOS: Northmont at Wayne, Week 5 football
• Springfield Catholic Central (0-8) is at Greeneview (7-1) in an Ohio Heritage Conference game on Thursday.