» ALUMNI UPDATE: Cunningham invited to showcase
This time, Dayton will play Michigan State, which ranks first in a CBSSports.com preseason poll, or Virginia Tech, a Sweet 16 team last season, in the semifinals or the consolation bracket at 9:30 a.m. or 3 p.m. Nov. 26. The Spartans and Hokies play in the second first-round game at noon Nov. 25.
3. Looking back: If Dayton plays Michigan State, it will be the third meeting between the schools. The Spartans beat the Flyers 83-74 on Dec. 7, 1991, at UD Arena and 65-60 on Dec. 19, 1992.
If Dayton plays Virginia Tech, it will be the 14th meeting. The Hokies lead the series 8-5 and won the last meeting 64-52 in Blacksburg, Va., on March 4, 2000.
4. Other matchups: On the other side of the bracket, Kansas, the No. 7 team in that preseason poll, will play Chaminade, a Division II program, at 4 p.m. in the first round. BYU will play UCLA, led by former Cincinnati Bearcats coach Mick Cronin, in the final first-round game at 6:30 p.m.
Dayton will play one of those four teams on the final day of the tournament Nov. 27, the day before Thanksgiving.
5. Tough field: Dayton finished 21-12 last season. Four other teams in the field won at least 20 games: Michigan State (32-7); Virginia Tech (26-9); Kansas (26-10); and Chaminade (23-8).
6. History lesson: Dayton also played in Maui in 2000 and 2003. Dayton is 7-2 in the tournament. It finished third in 2000, won the tournament in 2003 and placed third in 2013.
» WOMEN’S BASKETBALL: Shauna Green talks about start of offseason workouts
Victories over Gonzaga and California in Maui in 2013 helped the Flyers earn an at-large berth in the 2014 NCAA tournament, and it reached the Elite Eight.
7. Other champions: Kansas won the Maui Invitational in 2015 and 1996. UCLA won in 2006. Michigan State won in 1991.
8. Familiar name: Former Indiana coach Tom Crean enters his second season with the Bulldogs. They finished 11-21 last season and 2-16 in the SEC. It was their worst season since 2004-05 when they finished 8-20.
Crean’s second team features the nation’s ninth-ranked recruiting class, according to 247Sports.com. The six-man group includes Anthony Edwards, a 6-foot-5 guard who ranked second in the nation in the 2019 class. The Bulldogs return one double-digit scorer: 6-9 junior forward Rayshaun Hammonds (12.1 points per game).
9. Recent performances: Dayton has finished 1-2 in exempt tournaments, the Charleston Classic in 2017 and the Battle 4 Atlantis last season, in each of Anthony Grant's first two seasons.
10. Big name: Among the top players in the tournament is Michigan State senior point guard Cassius Winston, a second-team All-American as a junior. One website, MakingtheMadness.com, ranked him as the best player in college basketball entering the 2019-20 season.