CINCINNATI, OHIO - SEPTEMBER 21: Phillip Ervin #6 of the Cincinnati Reds shatters his bat as he hits a single during a game against the New York Mets at Great American Ball Park on September 21, 2019 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Bryan Woolston/Getty Images)

Reds hang critical loss on playoff-chasing Mets

He should know. He made it.

The third baseman hesitated on what he thought might be a foul ball, allowing Aristides Aquino to beat out a bases-loaded infield hit that drove in the Cincinnati Reds’ first run in the New York Mets’ critical 3-2 loss on Saturday.

New York (80-74) dropped four games back of Milwaukee for the second NL wild card with eight games left. The Brewers played last-place Pittsburgh later Saturday.

»ASK HAL: What would you do as Reds GM?

“That was a bonehead mistake,” said Frazier, a former Red. “I thought it was foul. I remember doing that once when I was younger and telling myself, ‘Always play it through.’ That cost us one and maybe two runs. That’s on me.”

Pinch-hitter Christian Colón’s two-out single off Seth Lugo broke an eighth-inning tie. New York’s last 14 batters were retired in order, and the Mets went 0 for 6 with runners in scoring position, including four strikeouts in two innings with runners in scoring position.

“That one hurts,” Mets manager Mickey Callaway said. “We had multiple chances.”

Cincinnati took a 2-0 lead in the first against Zack Wheeler on RBI infield singles by José Iglesias and Aquino. After a leadoff single and a walk, Frazier allowed Eugenio Suárez’s potential double-play grounder to bounce off his glove for an error, loading the bases with no outs.

»RELATED: Saturday’s boxscore

Aquino followed with his chopper, a ball that appeared to be foul but was ruled fair by third base umpire Mark Ripperger. One out later, Iglesias singled to drive in the second run.

Wheeler hit an RBI grounder in the third after Frazier’s double off the center-field wall, and the Mets tied the score in the fourth when Brandon Nimmo allowed Anthony DeSclafani’s pitch to hit the protective gear on his right arm.

With the score 2-2, Justin Wilson (4-2) walked Iglesias with one out in the eighth and José Peraza blooped a single to right. Seth Lugo relieved and struck out pinch-hitter Curt Casali, and Colón grounded a curveball up the middle.

“The Mets gave me a chance after I left Atlanta,” said Colón, a former Met. “Those guys over there probably hate me now, but I have a lot of love for those guys. It comes full circle.”

Joel Kuhnel (1-0), a 24-year-old right-hander who made his big league debut last month, got the final out of the eighth for his first major league win. Raisel Iglesias struck out Robinson Canó, Wilson Ramos and Michael Conforto in order for his 34th save in 39 chances.

At 73-82, Cincinnati assured its first season with fewer than 90 losses since 2014.

A day after hitting his 50th homer, Mets rookie Pete Alonso went 0 for 4 and stranded the bases loaded in the fifth when he struck out, right after Jeff McNeil took a called third strike. McNeil and Nimmo also struck out in the third, stranding a runner on third base,

Wheeler, eligible for free agency after the World Series, allowed one earned run in seven innings for the third straight start, the last two without a decision. He gave up seven hits.

DeSclafani yielded two runs — one earned — and three hits in six innings.

TRAINER’S ROOM

Reds: OF Nick Senzel will have surgery next week to repair the torn labrum in his right shoulder. Manager David Bell is confident Senzel will be ready for opening day. … Brian O’Grady left after three innings after being shaken up while banging into the center field fence trying to track down Amed Rosario’s third-inning double.

UP NEXT

Mets: RHP Marcus Stroman (9-13) was moved up a day and will start Sunday because manager Mickey Callaway thinks he matches up better against the Reds than Miami. LHP Steven Matz will start the series opener against the Marlins.

Reds: RHP Trevor Bauer (11-12) will make his first career start against the Mets. Bauer’s eight innings in 3-1 win at Arizona on Sunday were the most his nine starts for Cincinnati.

Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.

Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.

X