1. Springfield struck a blow for Miami Valley football with a big win over Dublin Coffman, a traditionally strong program from central Ohio. Danny Davis (162 yards rushing, 1 TD) and Leonard Taylor (46 yards rushing, 2 TDs and an interception on defense) led the Wildcats’ rally for a 22-20 win.
2. Hamilton wide receiver Vince Sanford caught 11 passes for 182 yards and set up Trace Sword’s game-winning field goal with a 59-yard reception. The Big Blue beat Milford 17-14 as Sanford set school records for catches and yards in a game as well as career receiving yards (1,333).
3. Xenia started 0-1, but don’t blame Mechi Harris. The junior receiver scored three touchdowns – two receiving and one on an 84-yard kickoff return – as the Buccs lost to Beavercreek 37-20.
4. Kaleb Romero had a very efficient night for Mechanicsburg, rushing for 210 yards on only six carries as the Indians beat West Jefferson. He scored four touchdowns.
5. Tyler VanFossen of Lakota East also broke the 200-yard mark, picking up 239 yards and scoring three touchdowns as the Thunderhawks beat Loveland.
6. Kenton Ridge held off intradistrict rival Northeastern for a 22-20 win despite a big day by Jets senior Wes Roberts, who scored via reception and interception return. He also recovered a fumble for NHS.
7. Chaminade-Julienne has a new home, but the Eagles are 0-1 on the season after coming up short against Division VII powerhouse Marion Local. The Flyers won the first game at Roger Glass Stadium 34-14
Now that you’re caught up, check out the schedule for Week 2.
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.