Mardi Gras is the celebration on or after the Christian feasts of the Epiphany, meant to be a last large meal before participating in the fasting of the Lenten season. Although the holiday has been celebrated for centuries, many have come to associate Mardi Gras with New Orleans.
This year, there are several Miami Valley restaurants that would be more than happy to help local foodies celebrate Mardi Gras and the Cajun-inspired flavors of New Orleans. They have prepared special meals, desserts and drinks that might possess the ability to transport you, via gumbos and Hurricane cocktails, to a carnival frame of mind.
Here are some of the local restaurants offering special Mardi Gras menus.
We’ll be continuously updating this list. If you have any events to share, please send them along to firstname.lastname@example.org.
✨🎭FAT TUESDAY CELEBRATION AT MUDLICK TAP HOUSE
Where: Mudlick Tap House, 135 E. Second St., Dayton
When: Tuesday, Feb. 16 from 4-10 p.m.
More info: Facebook
On this day at Mudlick Tap House in Dayton, guests will be able to indulge in New Orleans-inspired cocktails like Sazeracs and Hurricanes and food like gumbo and beignets. To make the occasion even sweeter, customers can book their own private Fat Tuesday party in one of their igloos that can host up to eight people.
Customers can make a reservation by visiting Mudlick Tap House’s website.
✨🎭MARDI GRAS FIRST FRIDAY IN DOWNTOWN TROY
Where: Several restaurants in downtown Troy
When: Friday, Feb. 5 from 5:30-8 p.m.
Several local businesses will be serving up delicious odes to the Mardi Gras holiday as a part of Troy Main Street’s First Friday series on Feb. 5.
The downtown Troy Mardi Gras restaurant specials are as follows:
- The Caroline: Gumbo and Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Pasta. They will also feature a beer from New Orleans’ Abita Brewery called Purple Haze.
- Harens Market: Gumbo and a Shrimp Po’ Boy.
- Mojo’s Bar and Grille: Gumbo, Shrimp Po’Boy and Hurricanes from the bar.
- Poppin’ Off: Ragin’ Cajun popcorn, Salted Bourbon Caramel popcorn and King Cake popcorn. They will also be giving away beads with each purchase, and customers who spend $30 or more will have a chance to spin their prize wheel.
- Winans Chocolates + Coffees: Caramel Bourbon & Honey Latte and Caramel Bourbon & Honey Frappucino.
- ReU Juicery & Organic Kitchen: Will be handing out Mardi Gras feather masks to the first 50 guests from 1-7 p.m.
Other businesses will also be involved in the Mardi Gras celebration, including Be You Boutique, which will be offering 15 percent off everything in their store and Pachamama Market, which will be offering 20 percent off all jewelry.
Throughout the day, guests who walk around downtown Troy will also be able to enjoy Zydeco and other Mardi Gras-themed music on the city’s speakers.
✨🎭FOUR-COURSE MARDI GRAS DINNER AT AMBER ROSE
Where: Amber Rose, 1400 Valley St., Dayton
When: Friday, Feb. 12 from 7-8:30 p.m.
More info: Facebook
Seeing as Amber Rose’s Executive Chef T.J. Peterson grew up in New Orleans, a delicious four-course meal to celebrate Mardi Gras is almost a given.
Tickets for the four-course meal range from $180 for a table for four to $360 for a table for eight, and will include the following items (along with tea and soda options):
- First course/starter: Seafood & Sausage Gumbo
- Second course: Shrimp & Grits
- Third course/entree: Bourbon Street Filet - tender New Orleans seasoned beef tenderloin resting on diced potatoes with onions, mushrooms, ham and Cajun Cream Sauce.
- Fourth course/dessert: Bananas Foster
Throughout the evening, guests can earn beads for answering NOLA-related trivia. A cash bar will also be available.
Tickets will be available for purchase soon by visiting the event’s Facebook page. Ticket sales end on Thursday, Feb. 11.
✨🎭MARDI GRAS WEEK AT THE BREW BARN
Credit: Tom Gilliam
Credit: Tom Gilliam
Where: Moeller Brew Barn, 214 W. Main St., Troy
When: Tuesday, Feb. 16 through Thursday, Feb. 18 from 3-10 p.m. and Friday, Feb. 19 and Saturday, Feb. 20 from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
More info: Facebook
Moeller’s Brew Barn in Troy will be celebrating Mardi Gras with beer and seltzer releases, food specials and live music from Tuesday, Feb. 16 through Saturday, Feb. 20. The JR Erb Trio featuring Greg Pflugh and Jazz Quartet will be performing at the brewery on Feb. 20 from 5-8 p.m.
More details will be announced on the brewery’s Facebook page as the event nears.
✨🎭MARDI GRAS AT JIMMIE’S LADDER 11
Where: Jimmie’s Ladder 11, 936 Brown St.., Dayton
When: Friday, Feb. 12 and Saturday, Feb. 13 from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 14 through Tuesday, Feb. 16 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m.
More info: Facebook
Enjoy specialty cocktails and meal specials at Jimmie’s Ladder 11 in Dayton from Friday, Feb. 12 through Tuesday, Feb. 16.
The specialty cocktails and meal specials consist of the following items:
- Hurricane: Light rum, dark rum, grenadine, pineapple and orange juice garnished with an orange slice and maraschino cherry. Served on the rocks.
- Creole Cocktail: Old grandad bonded bourbon, Benedictine, sweet vermouth and angostura bitters, garnished with a lemon twist. Served on the rocks.
- Sazerac: Old Forester bourbon, Hennessy, absinthe, Peychaud’s bitters and simple syrup, garnished with a lemon twist. Served on the rocks.
- Fleur De Lis: Empress 1908 Gin, St. Germaine, muddled limes, cucumber and lavender simple syrup, served straight up.
- King Creole Cheesecake: A savory blend of Andouille sausage, smoked gouda, cream cheese, onions, red peppers and cajun spices. Served with pita chips. ($11)
- New Orleans-Style Gumbo: Chicken, Andouille sausage and shrimp. ($6.50 for a bowl and $4.25 for a cup)
- Shrimp Po’ Boy: Lightly breaded wild white shrimp with remoulade and shredded lettuce on a lightly toasted Milano roll. Served with cajun fries or red beans and rice. ($13)
- Beef Po’ Boy: Mardi Gras bock braised beef with creole gravy, grilled onions and peppers on a lightly toasted Milano roll. Served with cajun fries or red beans and rice. ($13)
- Oyster Po’ Boy: Chesapeake Bay oysters with remoulade and shredded lettuce on a lightly toasted Milano roll. Served with cajun fries or red beans and rice. ($14)
- Shrimp & Grits: Cheesy grits and jumbo Gulf shrimp. Served with a side salad. ($16)
- Bourbon Street Bread Pudding: Jimmie’s bourbon-glazed bread pudding ($6.50)
These specials will be available through dine-in, carryout and delivery. Reservations can be made in advance by calling the restaurant at 937-424-1784.
✨🎭MARDI GRAS AT WATERMARK RESTAURANT
Where: Watermark Restaurant, 20 S. 1st St., Miamisburg
When: Tuesday, Feb. 16 from 5-10 p.m.
Watermark will be offering a Fat Tuesday menu on Tuesday, Feb. 16 from 5-10 p.m., along with Mardi Gras-themed entertainment from local jazz musician Randy Villars and his Dixieland Trio from 6-9 p.m.
The following items will be available on Watermark’s Fat Tuesday menu:
- Fresh Oysters: Grilled with garlic butter, lemon and shaved parmesan or raw with mignonette (six for $14.95 or 12 for $29.95)
- Fried Oysters with remoulade ($11.95)
- Chicken and Andouille Gumbo with rice (a cup for $3.95 or bowl for $6.95)
- Two Crab Cakes with remoulade and red cabbage slaw ($14.95)
- Watermark Salad ($7.95)
- Green Salad ($5.95)
- Louisiana Shrimp and Grits ($16.95)
- Cajun Grilled Catfish: Pimento cheese grits and creole buerre blanc ($23.95)
- The Great Miami Burger with fries ($14.95)
- Croiss-Somethings: “Almost beignets” with caramel dipping sauce ($7.95)
- House-Churned Salted Caramel Ice Cream with a butter cookie ($5.95)
- Molten Lava Cake with vanilla ice cream ($8.95)
Reservations can be made by visiting the restaurant’s website or calling them at 937-802-0891.
About the Author