The Ezzo Sausage Company in Columbus has issued a recall of about 25,115 pounds of sausage products in the form of sliced sausage and pepperoni, which were produced on Oct 29-30 and Nov. 5 and shipped to distribution centers in Indiana and Ohio.
The pepperoni and sausage are being recalled after the firm tested samples and found Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.
>>Possible listeria in vegetables, ready-to-eat meals prompts U.S. recall, alert
The products being recalled bear the establishment number “EST. 1838A” on the U.S. Department of Agriculture mark of inspection, and include:
- Ange's Pizza Sausage for Pizza 38 mm Sliced
- Creno's Pizza Sliced Sausage for Pizza
- GiAntonio Brand Sausage for Pizza 38 mm Sliced
- GiAntonio Brand Pepperoni 38 mm SLiced
- Josseppi's Sliced Topper Pepperoni
- Masset's Portofino Pepperoni
- Flyer's Pizza & Subs 38 mm Sliced Pepperoni
- Ezzo Brand Burretto Pepperoni Sliced 51 mm
- Ezzo Brand Rough Chopped Pepperoni
- Ezzo Brand Natural Uncured Pepperoni Sliced 51 mm
- Chopped Pepperoni
- Pizza King Chopped Pepperoni
- Ezzo Brand Chopped Pepperoni
There have been no confirmed reports of people becoming sick from eating these products, but the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service is concerned that some of these products are in distribution centers, restaurants or institutions. Restaurants and institutions that bought these products are urged not to serve them, but to throw them away or return them.
>>Recall alert: Chicken recall expanded due to listeria contamination concerns
Eating food contaminated with Listeria Monocytogenes can cause listeriosis, a serious infection that primarily affects older adults, people with weakened immune systems, pregnant women and newborns. People in these categories who experience flu-like symptoms within two months of eating contaminated food should seek medical care and tell their health care provider about eating the contaminated food.
Consumers with questions about the recall can contact Darryl Thompson, V.P. of Business Development for Ezzo Sausage Company, at (614)-445-8841.
About the Author