A possible Listeria contamination has impacted vegetable products sold at businesses like Meijer and Whole Foods.
Various packaged produce items like broccoli florets and bagged processed salads have been recalled due to Listeria concerns, which can cause fever, muscle aches, headache, stiff neck, confusion and can be fatal in some people.
1. MEIJER The Grand Rapids, Mich.-based retailer announced it has recalled various packaged Meijer brand produce items due to a potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism that can cause fatal infections in young children and elderly people. The recall affects products sold in Meijer stores in Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky and Wisconsin purchased Sept. 27 through Oct. 20. The items will be in plastic containers or foam trays with printed labels with various sizes and weights. Read more
2. FRESH FOODS MANUFACTURING Pennsylvania-based Fresh Foods Manufacturing Co. is recalling approximately 701 pounds of heat-treated, not fully cooked chicken products that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes. The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. P-40211.” These items were shipped to retail locations in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
3. MANN PACKING The original supplier of the recalled vegetables is Mann Packing. The company conducted a nationwide recall of various cut vegetables due to a report that the Canadian Food Inspection Agency’s random sampling found a single positive result for Listeria monocytogeneson a Mann Packing Power Blend bagged salad product.
4. IMPACT No illnesses related to the recall have been reported. Consumption of food contaminated with L. monocytogenes can cause Listeria, a serious infection that primarily affects older adults, persons with weakened immune systems, and pregnant women and their newborns.
5. BRANDS ISSUE RECALLS Other businesses and products impacted by the recall include: Paragon Wholesale Foods Corp. brand Just Cut, Charlie’s Produce Alaska Carrot, Whole Foods Market, Albertsons, Safeway Vons, Pak’N Save and Mann’s.
FIVE FAST BUSINESS READS
Thank you for reading the Dayton Daily News and for supporting local journalism. Subscribers: log in for access to your daily ePaper and premium newsletters.
Thank you for supporting in-depth local journalism with your subscription to the Dayton Daily News. Get more news when you want it with email newsletters just for subscribers. Sign up here.